Search the forum,

Discuss Fixing toilet to glued-down base over UFH. in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

I have to install a toilet on a floor with UFH under it, so will need to stick it down rather than drill it.

The toilet I have has those L-shaped brackets for attaching to the floor (like these). Obviously I can't use them as intended, but I'm considering sticking a bit of ply to the floor and attaching the toilet to that using the brackets. My thinking is that would be more stable than if the toilet was just held down with adhesive round the rim.

Has anyone done something like this? Any foreseeable problems?

is this a new bathroom, was it meant to be one, if so then the ufh should not have been layed near the toilet, is it wet or electric? your plan sound fairly good if this is your only way you can do it. but i would try to find out first and check with customer.

Refit of existing bathroom with wet UFH and I'm pretty sure the pipes aren't near the toilet, but there's no way to check and 'pretty sure' isn't sure enough for me given the risk!

Thermal imaging camera ?

If you bed the toilet on a PU adhesive/sealant like Puraflex40 or one of those hybrid sealant/adhesives like CT1, X8 or it ain't going anywhere.

I have to install a toilet on a floor with UFH under it, so will need to stick it down rather than drill it.

The toilet I have has those L-shaped brackets for attaching to the floor (like these). Obviously I can't use them as intended, but I'm considering sticking a bit of ply to the floor and attaching the toilet to that using the brackets. My thinking is that would be more stable than if the toilet was just held down with adhesive round the rim.

I had a similar problem when replacing the toilet which was delivered without any fixings, it was a Friday and we had visitors Arriving the next day so I glued the pan to the ceramic tiled floor with Tec 7 and left it overnight, it had set perfectly and was able to use it ok. When the bathroom was refitted some 3 yrs later the toilet had to be smashed to get it out. I wouldn’t bother with cutting any plywood as a base, good luck.

Yes take photgraphs of the UFH before you lay the screed.

Think of the poor sod who may have to drag it out for a leak in the future. Silicone is adequate and will enable removal, some of these advanced adhesives do us no favours when used inappropriately.

Does the cistern screw to the wall?

If it does a thin bead of silicone under pan edge, followed by a nicely finished seal to the floor is all that’s needed.

As long as the pan sits flat on the floor, as said above, a bead of silicone around the edges will hold it tight and enable it to be removed if there's ever an issue.
I've seen CT1 and similar pull tiles off the wall when people have tried to remove sanity ware etc, so if you use it be aware it is a permanent option.

Mine is on a tiled floor with electric u/f so was never secured with brackets just silicon round base and silicon to the back board of the unit, never moved and really secure. Even had to take it out when blocked drain redid silicon and it’s the same rock solid

Think of the poor sod who may have to drag it out for a leak in the future. Silicone is adequate and will enable removal, some of these advanced adhesives do us no favours when used inappropriately.

Does the cistern screw to the wall?

If it does a thin bead of silicone under pan edge, followed by a nicely finished seal to the floor is all that’s needed.
That’s a good point Ben, my method would not let you remove it if you need to, but if it’s installed correctly why would you.

Much more sensible that, if you've got the height I might try screw and glue the toilet bracketry onto the actual baton.

IMG_0458.JPG

Reply to Fixing toilet to glued-down base over UFH. in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock