Search the forum,

Discuss Fixing dripping tap help in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

adb

Hi,

I'm trying to fix a dripping tap in my kitchen. I can get the tap off but does anyone know what tool I need to get the main cartridge(?) part out? I only have a standard spanner and I can't get enough leverage on it because of the protruding grey cover(pic 2). Is this fairly simple to fix or should I just get a plumber? Thanks

View: https://*********/a/QJKhe9u

Need a socket out of a socket set, and prob a long range one to allow for the splines. Use your spanner to meas the size. Halfords sell odd ones I think, or good plumbers merchant. Have a look online first.

You have done the hard bits so might as well finish, but get in a pro if you are not enjoying it.

Cheers,

Roy

Not easy when looking at the phone screen JC but should of remembered that for sure, well spotted.

You can see from the 2nd picture that the insert only has 2 flat edges, either need a tool from the tap manufacturer, or clamp something like mole grips on there really tight using a pair of pump pliers on the grips to turn if needed.

Apologies missed that in the picture.

Dumb thoughts, thinking out loud:

1st thought basin wrench or crowfoot spanners, but you would have to grind them down, prob too much . . .

Don't suppose the flats would fit in a small vice with small square ended jaws ( same prob as above).

Can you measure between the tap insert (round part) and the main body.

Assume tap manufacturer has special tools?
Else have to get one fabricated. . .

Also consider the tap value, and time spent.

If you are still trying spanners, perhaps a big adjustable, or a slim one, and also grind down the jaws. If there is not much space though it's not going to work.

Solder/braze pipe into the old valve body (prob destroy the tap. . .)

Apologies not being able to help more.

Hopefully as a rank amateur plumber I'm missing an obvious answer. If no good response ask on a clankys forum?

Roy

Anyone still use box spanners? lol
On a sink tap nut, yes.

Also... if I'm working on my van and cannot be bothered to take my shoes off and climb two flights of stairs to get to my tools in the loft room... then I use the box spanners from my plumbing toolbox.

If you're changing the insert you could always drill into the current one, start small (3mm) and increase in size until you can get a tommy bar in the hole and undo the valve that way. Take it slow, don't let the valve get too hot, clean up all the swarf as you go.

Reply to Fixing dripping tap help in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

This is probably obvious but I want to replace the cartridge to stop dripping. I have done similar before but I cannot work out how to remove the tap head! i thought the hot/cold circle would pop out but no such luck and don't want to damage. can anyone help? Thanks Martin fix the caple
Replies
Views
I have a Bristan Manhattan mixer tap in the kitchen. Five years ago, it started to drip. I replaced the valve in the cold water side and the dripping stopped. Recently it began to drip again and I replaced the valve again. But, it still drips sometimes. I’m trying to replace the valve on the...
Replies
Views
Hello all, first time poster so if there is any additional information I can provide that may help, please let me know. Our kitchen mixer tap has been intermittently dripping from the hot tap, and the cold tap is squeaking when you turn it. Possibly two different issues, possibly related? The...
Replies
Views
I have a dripping tap that was getting progressively worse over the period of about 4 to 6 weeks and have replaced with a brand new cartridge on 2 separate occasions, but after 4 to 6 weeks the problem returns.
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Hi, My Blanco Kitchen Tap Model Swift BM1420 is leaking. Please see attached photos for details of where water leaks from. What I've done so far. I replaced the cartridge. Leak persisted. Bought some replacement seals and tried to put in place of the old ones. Here's what I did next. Remove...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock