Search the forum,

Discuss fixed price repair in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

hammers4spanner

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Went out to a wozzie high flow 400 today , expansion vessel kaput and pump weak as you get . Got a price of parts and then added my labour would of come to about £300.00. In the time the customer just for a second quote decided to contact wozzie themselves and they offered a fixed price repair including VAT £252.00.

How do you compete with that? By the time i put a diagnostic , go pick up parts and then fit labour charge plus mark up on mats i'm dearer than the manufacturer .

Am sure the big boys want the small business out of the way these days .

Don't ever fit their boiler then. Mind you, no doubt they all offer that service.
Once they've paid you for diagnostic I hardly see how its worth getting the manufacturers in

WB do it too. I was quoted £300 by a gas man to fix my boiler - heat plate at the back. WB did it for £240 with 12 mth warranty. What could I do? This was a good few years ago now.

It's great when you've got a crap job you can't be bothered with, or even God forbid, can't fathom it.

You did charge a diagnostic fee, didn't you?

Yes it was a WB high flow 400 , it wasn't a difficult job but they were cheap .

In long run their was no decent money in it for me

decided to contact wozzie themselves and they offered a fixed price repair including VAT £252.00.

How do you compete with that? By the time i put a diagnostic , go pick up parts and then fit labour charge plus mark up on mats i'm dearer than the manufacturer .

Am sure the big boys want the small business out of the way these days .

Doubt they actually want the small business out of the way. Besides, I can't blame the customer for getting a second quote from the manufacturer. Some months back, I was called to a faulty Ideal boiler. Turns out HE needed changing. My price to purchase one off the shelf, then fit it was £££ can't remember now, but when I phoned Ideal and asked how much they will charge for a 1 off replacement of the said part, it was at least £50 less than I waould have charged the customer. Plus manufacturers always give a 1yr guarantee. I phoned customer and advised them to get Ideal to replace the part. They have the parts sitting there on the shelve doing nothing, so in reality, their replacememt cost will be less than yours.

Yea got some money , been getting a lot like this lately tho ,

Ask them before if all o.k , customer says yes all good , start the service oh you have a fault
:censored:

Always pricey when a boiler has multiple problems as the price escalates...

I didn't think Worcester warranted there fixed price call out on the older boilers such as floor standing 400 etc...

Cheapo external vessel & bog standard pump head might have been cheaper than genuine Worcester parts you quoted...

if the customer is old n poor, like I will be one day, I always suggest a manufacturers repair if one is available for horrible jobs, especially wb which I hate working on, still get paid for the diagnostics and normally cop a service next year on.

As I've posted before, while on a boiler course before, the trainer happily told us that they pay £8 for a part which we all pay £90 for, - there lies the answer why we can't compete on anything but the smallest of repairs

Always pricey when a boiler has multiple problems as the price escalates...

I didn't think Worcester warranted there fixed price call out on the older boilers such as floor standing 400 etc...

Cheapo external vessel & bog standard pump head might have been cheaper than genuine Worcester parts you quoted...

I didn't think Worcester worked on anything over 10 years old. Or at least they never did around where I used to live.

I didn't think Worcester worked on anything over 10 years old. Or at least they never did around where I used to live.

Yeah Iv heard that too... I gues over 10 years it gets too expensive as there's more chance of multiple faults!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to fixed price repair in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Vaillant Ecotec Plus 832 boiler is 13 years old, 4 of which since we've been living there, started to play up in last couple of months. An...
Replies
Views
Hey guys in the know. I have paid for a heating and plumbing contract and had to pay my excess 3 times for the same thing still not fixed. The...
Replies
Views
Do you offer this to customers or not? Example, I have a 10 year old Vaillant with f62 could be PCB or gas valve PCB is around £250 for the part...
Replies
Views
Old Account
O
Hi all, We recently purchased a house and nothing seems to work correctly here, I've spent weeks rectifying issues. Plumbing, electrical...
Replies
Views
Hello, I’ll try and keep this brief. I have a very ancient one bed flat with a conventional boiler system and since moving in last year have had...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock