Search the forum,

Discuss Fitting New Gas Fire in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

auldreekie

Hello, my first post on the forum, if I have posted in the wrong place then apologies to all, perhaps a mod can move the post to it's proper place.

We are about to get a gas fire installed, a "Flavel Windsor slimline high efficiency gas fire " There is already a gas supply piped at the hearth (currently capped) from a previous insert type gas fire we had removed a number of years ago. It was replaced by a electric fire ...big mistake hence we want the gas fire back. There is no back boiler as we have a combi.

I have been on the Gas Safe Register website and have a list of local Gas Safe tradesmen, one of which I hope will fit the above fire.
Is it possible for you guys to tell me what the average installation charge is these days bearing in mind there is already a gas supply at the hearth and new fire will fit?
I'd be interested to know roughly what installation price to expect and know if I am being overcharged or not. If it makes any difference I'm in Central Scotland.

Class 1 Chimney has just been been swept and checked also appropriate type cowl been fitted to chimney.

Has the flue been smoke tested by the sweep ?

Please don't instantly think what you are being charged is overcharged. Some people Will just charge more, that's not because they are trying to rip you off that's just because that's how their price structure works in order to run their business. I get a bit ticked off with people that are instantly on the attack regarding pricing thinking that every contractor is out to scam them. . Sometimes you get what you pay for Quality wise. I would recommend getting at least three quotes so that you can compare the figures and the service that the installer is actually offering. Often with things like fires installers will have a portfolio and have pictures so you can see what their finished product looks like. Regarding the at least three quotes I would never go for the cheapest, if they are massively cheaper than the next best quote then that should set alarm bells ringing regarding the quality of the install. I'm not saying for a second that you won't heed warnings but you would be amazed the amount of people that go for the cheapest of the cheap option all of the time and then moan like nothing on earth when they're install is shoddy, or worse, dangerous!!!!

Last edited:
Ok perhaps I shouldn't have mentioned the risk of thinking I might get overcharged. All I was really interested in was roughly the region what I might expect to pay, ÂŁ100+ ÂŁ200+ ÂŁ300+ or more etc bearing in mind the gas supply pipe is already at the hearth. I'm not looking for a el cheapo fitter and don't mind paying the going rate to a GSR fitter.

I know the fire I want to purchase (as in original post) and dimensions according to the advert which should fit in the fireplace, should I wait before ordering the fire and speak to the fitter when he gives me a quote on the job?.

Do all GSR installers supply as well as fit? Been round a lot of local gas fire stores/shops and they don't carry the model I'm considering. Readily available online though.

No.
Probably order it but often the price is the same as you can get it for

Been round a lot of local gas fire stores/shops and they don't carry the model I'm considering. Readily available online though.

Which is pecisely why shops don't often sell Flavel and the like - end users can buy them cheaper on line then the wholsale price!
As an ex-shop owner, I loved it when a punter walked in trying to get me to take their brand new but repackaged fire that is not suitable as part exchange.
I still sell fires, but make a profit, so you could buy cheaper on web. I also do fit only - but any issues are referred directly to the seller or maker BY THE PUNTER. Most fire manufacturers are useless with after sales, and have traditionally relied upon the retailer to do at least the first visit on a breakdown. The web struggles with that:yesnod:

Fires are a mare, there's something always wrong that needs fixing normally. Last one I went to was supposed to be a straight swap. Plasterboard in the opening, timber with tiles above lintel, builder required and new tiled back and then the extract fan in the kitchen effected the spillage....... Complete mare.

I had to go price up a flueless for a clueless.

Told him he needed a vent.

"What u on about mate. Never needed one before and this is the 5th house".

Verbally advised him re the need to quickly go back and get them checked.
I Just walked out. Yet another danger to himself and others.

I had to go price up a flueless for a clueless.

Told him he needed a vent.

"What u on about mate. Never needed one before and this is the 5th house".

Verbally advised him re the need to quickly go back and get them checked.
I Just walked out. Yet another danger to himself and others.

:D cut a inch of the front door :D

Is the online deals the only reason shops don't favour Flavel or are they reckoned to be the lower end of gas fires. Is the safety of Flavel any less thgan the high end brands. For the price of the above fire it suits my pocket and the size of my room, hence my choice, also not having to get a vent cut in my exterior wall.

There are set standards for safety that manufacturer have to meet.

Not sure why no-one wants to suggest a rough guide to what the above installation might be, 100s 200s 300s or more. Either got something to hide or feart the tax man is watching this site. I guess the text in the Quick Reply box below about helping OP or being helpful means nothing. It doesn't inspire any confidence in the trade to punters at all when avoiding the original question.

Nothing to fear. Forum guidelines suggest no open discussion re pricing.

That comment was a bit below the belt. You come asking for help - we offer help. You dont get every last drop of what you want and then become mildly offensive...

No need - if you dont respect the rules (of which i dont make)
Then close the door on your way out

The op asked about price, the reason we don't discuss it is this is the uk plumbers forum ( which covers the whole the uk ) and as such price varies across the country and we don't want customers holding us to a price that could be unrealistic. Also some guys are vat, some aren't, some are se, some do homers etc etc

As the above.

Your question was answered, I told you no in post 2. You've been rude so I'm closing this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Fitting New Gas Fire in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock