Search the forum,

Discuss fitting blown off... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

1976mjs

Hi all

I've had my first compression fitting blow off - thank god I was there at the time...It was the cold feed to one of these bar valve fixing kits:

H&C Contemporary Bar Valve Fixing Kit Chrome Effect | Shower Spares & Fittings | NoLinkingToThis

After examining the pipe, I realised that, even though I had tightened up the nut nicely, the olive hadn't deformed or dug into the pipe at all! The olive looked the same as before I had assembled the joint....The olives were copper and faceted (as opposed to the more usual curverd ones) with two grooves running around them. I've binned both, and reassembled using my usual olives, and all seems fine (fingers crossed).

Just wondering if anybody else has had any bad experiences with olives like this? For information, the pipe was Speedfit, and I used the correct Speedfit insert (ie the plastic ones from JG Speedfit without the rubber seals).

Or maybe I should retrain as a sparky?

Thanks in advance
Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all

I've had my first compression fitting blow off - thank god II was there at the time...It was the cold feed to one of these bar valve fixing kits:

H&C Contemporary Bar Valve Fixing Kit Chrome Effect | Shower Spares & Fittings | NoLinkingToThis

After examining the pipe, I realised that, even though I had tightened up the nut nicely, the olive hadn't deformed or dug into the pipe at all! The olive looked the same as before I had assembled the joint....The olives were copper and faceted (as opposed to the more usual curverd ones) with two grooves running around them. I've binned both, and reassembled using my usual olives, and all seems fine (fingers crossed).

Just wondering if anybody else has had any bad experiences with olives like this? For information, the pipe was Speedfit, and I used the correct Speedfit insert (ie the plastic ones from JG Speedfit without the rubber seals).

Or maybe I should retrain as a sparky?

Thanks in advance
Mike

Noticed brass olives rarely compress fully onto the pipe but never known a copper olive not to compress.

Never had one blow off, but I don't use speedfit don't like it.

What is your profession? You get used to how tight is tight enough and what feels right.

Plumbing has its moments though and can BITE

better to use external stand off on tile surface. keep compression fittings in places you can get a spanner on them. Inside a wall is a bad idea.

Thanks guys - yes, I've been working as a plumber/ bathroom fitter for around 7 years. I don't normally use Speedfit either, but it seemed like the right choice for this particular situation...

Never had one blow off, but I don't use speedfit don't like it.

What is your profession? You get used to how tight is tight enough and what feels right.

Plumbing has its moments though and can BITE

To right it can bite had a fair share of grief last nine months or so

better to use external stand off on tile surface. keep compression fittings in places you can get a spanner on them. Inside a wall is a bad idea.

I will do next time - thanks - the fixing kit I used was bloody expensive too...

Those fixing kits are a good idea but go for one with end feed. They are cheaper and force you to use copper.

Me personally don't like pushfit, i'll rarely use it only in diar need , but would always use hep2o b4 john guest and 'if i come across a john guest fitting that im attaching on to then i take out the JG linner and replace it with a hep linner,

Me personally don't like pushfit, i'll rarely use it only in diar need , but would always use hep2o b4 john guest and 'if i come across a john guest fitting that im attaching on to then i take out the JG linner and replace it with a hep linner,

Surely the john guest liner has the o rings to suit the john guest fitting. The hep dosen't have the o ring seals.

I always disassemble fitting after tightening and vigorously try to remove olive using nut. Can't always be done (after assembling a slip compression coupler for instance.) I know not everybody does but our senses are fallible and once you start doing it you'll be surprised how frequently you can get an olive to fly off using just your hand. Mostly it won't matter when things are assembled in line etc.. but for the few extra seconds it takes I always do it where I can.

The O rings seal to the inside of the pipe.

Dosen't the john guest have an o ring on the end of the insert which is inside the fitting and not the pipe part? Been a while since I used john guest but from what I remember the insert has a couple of o rings.

some JG have o-rings some don't...

on the crap new build job i am on atm (all JG pipe booo) had about 400 liners delivered with orings now they are delivering them without...

some JG have o-rings some don't...

on the crap new build job i am on atm (all JG pipe booo) had about 400 liners delivered with orings now they are delivering them without...

Been about 4 yrs since I've used it but thought they all had the o rings on the insert.

Both are available the ones without o rings have to be used on compression fittings otherwise the fitting will blow off.The ones with o rings make a seal if you push thepipe through a rough surface and score the end of it
Dont like hep I prefer speedfit if I have to use plastic. Seen too many hep fittings blow off or leak because plumber hasnt pushed it in far enough that is why they have redisigned their inserts.

Those fixing kits are a good idea but go for one with end feed. They are cheaper and force you to use copper.

This sounds ideal - I've never come across one though, where have you found them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to fitting blown off... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock