Search the forum,

Discuss Firm vs Private in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaydebruyne

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I did a private boiler and hob job at the weekend and got paid in 2 days what I would get in 2 weeks from my firm.

As much as I owe my boss for giving me a chance I've come to realise that I'm working my bum off for £80 a day (take home) and it's getting a little annoying when I've done my 7 jobs on my diary and they're calling me at 4:30 to 'refresh your diary cos we've added another job that HAS TO BE DONE'.

Sometimes I feel like I'm being taken for a mug!

Rant over. Just needed to get that off my chest.

Thats pretty terrible rates. You are GS you should be getting at least double that. Look around Im sure another company would bite your hand off and up your pay by half easily.

Thats pretty terrible rates. You are GS you should be getting at least double that. Look around Im sure another company would bite your hand off and up your pay by half easily.

I've only been gas safe for 7 months though, doesn't that make a difference?

Don't know of any firms paying £160 take home a day.

How many hours a week would you say your doing then Jay? 5 day week, call-outs?

Id ask for another £30? If you don't get it, look elsewhere. I would have thought £15ph is the going rate, at least

Last edited:
I've only been gas safe for 7 months though, doesn't that make a difference?

You get small firms that need a gas safe person to allow them to do boilers etc.
With no gas safe thats still very little. There are some apprentices I know that get more than that..
Try this here if you got a CV Plumber Jobs, vacancies in London | Indeed.co.uk
Even self employed I cant imagine you would struggle to match what you are being paid

When I do a private at say 2hrs max all in including travelling (my van not theirs) that roughly equals a days company pay.

If you have no contract, you could work any hours you want. How old are you and how long have you been in the job?

I'm 39 and have been with the firm nearly 2 years

How many hours a week would you say your doing then Jay? 5 day week, call-outs?

I generally leave my house at 7:30 to go pick up parts for the day, earliest I get home is about 5 - 5 days a week. No call outs but some days I have to work late if jobs have to get done.

should be on about 20-25 an hour about

I'm 39 and have been with the firm nearly 2 years

Keep a rough record of what you think you earn the company every week then at 2yrs service ask for a rise, think it was Ray or cr0ft that came up with a figure of 25% to you and the rest covers the expenses of employing a man and a van.

You can do some boilers for me if you want I'm paying my gs guy £50 an hour:whatchutalkingabout

should be on about 20-25 an hour about

No one on the cards employed is earning that. Unless North Wales is where the big money is. I am in South London and have a few mates all working for firms, some doing service and repair and some install work. They all earn 30-35k per year and have at least 10 years experience each. There is the opportunity to do call out or overtime if wanted. Some have to cover x amount of call out days per year as part of their basic.

30-35 is about the going rate for on the cards round here which if you can do overtime wouldn't be too bad, less stress as well! being self employed can give you a few sleepless nights:(

No one on the cards employed is earning that. Unless North Wales is where the big money is. I am in South London and have a few mates all working for firms, some doing service and repair and some install work. They all earn 30-35k per year and have at least 10 years experience each. There is the opportunity to do call out or overtime if wanted. Some have to cover x amount of call out days per year as part of their basic.

:D nope certainly not in north wales lucky to get £300 a week round here

but london is normally around 3 times as much etc

Maybe I'm just tired and being a whiny little girl :/ it could be worse!!

where do you do most of your work and what kind of work is it?

Are you SE or on the cards?

where do you do most of your work and what kind of work is it?

Are you SE or on the cards?

I'm SE - our work is all over London but I'm mainly west (inc SW, NW) and I do plumbing and gas work - it varies from day to day. I've just started doing boiler installs by myself.

Have a word with Pimlico they're hiring at the moment some of their plumbers earn in an hour what you get for a day!

Being SE you can earn more in a couple of days but you have to keep the work coming in.

If you are on 80 a day take home subbing then time to look elsewhere as that's a joke.

I'm SE - our work is all over London but I'm mainly west (inc SW, NW) and I do plumbing and gas work - it varies from day to day. I've just started doing boiler installs by myself.

Are you also supplying your own van and tools?

I just think the pressure and work load with the firm is a bit too much sometimes..

I wouldnt put up with it mate you only have that much health and every day you're underselling yourself. The more plumbers put up with **** pay the less reason employers have to pay decent wages.

I've started to build up my own clients. Hopefully in a few years I'll have enough work to jack the firm in

OP You forget that the company needs to pay for your pension, van, sick days, insurances, fuel, tools, office staff....etc and the boss needs to make something from your work. I do think that £80 a day is not great, but if you are thinking that you are better off on your own I would suggest that there will be times, sometimes many times, that you would look back and wish you were on 80 a day. I know guys who sub-contract and are on 160 per day and need to pay for all overheads off that including insurance, van, tools n the rest, so probably not too far away from your 80 a day with no hassle.

I would however ask for a raise to take home at least a ton a day.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Firm vs Private in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

B
Hi All, I am a 16 year old school leaver (Sept 23) looking for a local company to take me on as an apprentice plumber. I live in Benfleet and am looking to join a plumbing and heating engineer 4 days a week whilst I attend College to gain my level 3 plumbing and heating qualifications. if...
Replies
Views
Billy Barnard
B
B
    • Friendly
Hi, I've followed this excellent forum for several years but have never posted, so decided I'd better give some details. My status is the upper end of DIY and I've a couple of house renovations under my belt (my own homes) I am retired but do volunteer handyman jobs for the elderly. Not...
Replies
Views
Hi, Later this year I am going away for a 2 week holiday and as the weather will be warm there is no need for the heating to be on and arguably no need for me to needlessly heat hot water. My intention was to turn the boiler off along with the mains water when going away. Now, I have heard...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock