Discuss Faulty Dishwasher / Washing Machine Tap? How to fix / replace? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

matherto

Hi

My dishwasher needs replacing. However, I think that the tap that connects the current one may be faulty - was very stiff to "shut off" (teeth marks on the blue tap are visible prior to me touching it - looks like someone has had to open or close with a pair of pliers) and then when I eventually got it "closed" (by hand) I went to disconnect the hose and there just seemed to be too much leakage. More than what I'd expect for residue water. I've tightened the hose again and left the tap in the "closed" position (as far as I can) but given he prior teeth marks I've got my suspicions the tap is faulty or maybe I haven't managed to close it fully.

So, question is, are these taps prone to damage and likely to let water through or have I maybe just not shut it off properly given the stiffness in the tap? I've connected / disconnected a few dishwashers and washing machines with these taps so I'd be surprised if it was just a question of natural water that would be present in the hose but that said I'm still no expert!

What I plan to do:
There's no isolating valve near for the tap so I can't shut it down elsewhere.

I plan to turn the water off at the stopcock and let the kitchen tap run to drain the system. Dishwasher and connection is located next to the kitchen sink. Then I'll disconnect the hose fully. I'll then gradually turn the stopcock back on to see if water starts gushing from the tap - so either not shut off fully or faulty.
I'll then get a pair of pliers and see if I can force it shut any further and try the above again to see if it has fully shut off. If so then great. If not then I'll need to get a replacement tap.

Question here is, are the new taps easy to fit? I got a replacement tap from B&Q ([DLMURL="http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/plumbing/washers-tap-replacements/taps/Mi-Angled-Wash-Machine-Tap-11478131"]Mi Angled Wash Machine Tap, 0000005272136[/DLMURL]) - to me it looks like I should just be able to turn the stopcock off, drain the system and then loosen the nut that connects the existing tap. I assume they are a standard size so I would just be able to screw on the new tap - into the existing tap nut? Probably not that easy and hence the question. If it is that simple, do I need to apply any PTFE tap to the new threaded connection?

If not that simple - are we talking about getting a professional plumber to completely remove the old tap and install a new one?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
hi matherto welcome to the forums. i wpouldn't bother trying to get the existing tap working just swap it for a new one, don't get it from b&q though you can get them for half that price from screwfix or toolstation. it is an easy job to change them with the mains turned off just get some grips on the body and use a spanner or adjustables to undo the nut them put the new one on. no ptfe needed.

Thanks Steve - appreciate the quick answer. One further concern for me though and maybe I didn't explain this bit properly. In the replacement tap - for the pipe end, you have the nut and looks like a brass fitting of some sort. Is that an O ring or something? When you say just swap the tap - what I would do in simplistic novice terms is screw the new tap into the existing nut (i.e., discard the "new" nut and O ring / brass fitting). What if they are different sizes or the o ring / brass fitting is broken (and maybe that's causing the leak)? I wouldn't know how to discard the "old" nut and o ring / brass fitting and replace them. Would the new o ring / brass fitting need soldered on to the pipe? Sorry for the total lack of knowledge and probably confusion by calling the brass fitting an O ring! Would be good to get the actual name of it though. Again thanks for any help.

The brass O ring is called an Olive.
You shouldn't need to change the existing nut and olive, just fit the new tap onto the existing fittings and keep the new nut and olive in your spares box.

Brilliant - thanks very much for your help mountainman and Steve!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Faulty Dishwasher / Washing Machine Tap? How to fix / replace? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't...
Replies
Views
Hi bit of a weird issue, I installed a grohe bathroom tap successfully 2 months ago bought from screwfix. Last week the right hand hot tap makes...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock