Search the forum,

Discuss Expense Claims / Sole Trader in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaydebruyne

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Does anyone know if:

Van stock can be claimed for under expenses?

Parts I order for jobs, they just get taken off of the invoice total and then I submit what I earn (after taking off total for parts) to HMRC on my tax return?

Cheers

if you have receipts I don't see why not but only in the tax year that corresponds to the date on the receipts

claim for anything and everything from parking tickets to work clothes to tools etc etc

Van stock is the opposite! If you have ÂŁ1000 of stock on your van at year end, you will pay tax on it.

Van stock is the opposite! If you have ÂŁ1000 of stock on your van at year end, you will pay tax on it.

But if you buy van stock and use it before year end you can claim it?

You or your accountant should put something in for stock as you are taxed on it even if it is only marked in as a few hundred pounds of stock.

You or your accountant should put something in for stock as you are taxed on it even if it is only marked in as a few hundred pounds of stock.

You mean cover van stock with profits? Sorry, I'm new to this tax stuff and I'd rather do my own accounts - I don't have an accountant

Everyone will have some stock unless you are one of these guys who buy 3 elbow a tee and 6 clips so you mark a figure in your accounts for stock. This amount is then subject to tax. You can keep the figure quite low but they would normally expect to see some stock on your return unless you are subbing labour only.
It could be worthwhile speaking to an accountant as they will generally save you more than they cost as there will be a few things you are not claiming allowance on.

Everyone will have some stock unless you are one of these guys who buy 3 elbow a tee and 6 clips so you mark a figure in your accounts for stock. This amount is then subject to tax. You can keep the figure quite low but they would normally expect to see some stock on your return unless you are subbing labour only.
It could be worthwhile speaking to an accountant as they will generally save you more than they cost as there will be a few things you are not claiming allowance on.

I'll take your advice and book an appointment.. Cheers Tamz

I will try and explain.

You have bought ÂŁ1000 of stock that you have on the van.
You use ÂŁ500 of your stock on a job and charge it out at ÂŁ1000. So you have made ÂŁ500 of profit.
You also charge the customer ÂŁ500 in labour. This is also profit.
So you have made ÂŁ1000 profit. This will be taxed. So 20% is ÂŁ200 tax to put aside.
But..........
Now this is where you are best using an accountant, or are very good at tax law.

During the financial year you will have business expenses,like van depreciation, tool replacement, stationary, fuel, room in your house for bookkeeping, bank expenses , accountancy fees. and the main one you mentioned, material costs. All these are expenses that do not attract tax.
At the end of the year, you will have an ammount of stock left over in you van or garage. This is expected, but will be taxable. I usually just say ÂŁ500. If you are a 20% tax payer p, that's ÂŁ100.

But as other posts, I would recommend paying an accountant. They should always reduce your tax bill by at least thier charge.
Also if you want to borrow money from lenders in the future. You will need certified accounts going back three years. So best to start now.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Expense Claims / Sole Trader in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I have wrote on here before regarding this issue but it's now went one stage further. I am a sole trader and I done work for a bathroom showroom at the start of this year. Basically we got 4 jobs down and never seen any payment and now the company has closed. Does anyone know if there...
Replies
Views
Hi Folks, advice needed here... I am a 51 yr old leak detection engineer/plumber 2 years into self employment which i am loving. To get going I bought a 61 plate transit which has been great but is now off the road for a few weeks at least - which now that i am established and making decent...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone. I'm currently working on a job for a customer. their radiators are not all heating up. in total there is 12 radiators. 4 of these are on 15mm pipework, the rest are on 10mm. its powered by a Grundfos ups3 pump. the boiler is an 18kw heat only boiler. There are two radiators mainly...
Replies
Views
Hello, my Mothers heating failed in the recent UK cold snap. I found the pump was stuck. I have a question about pump orientation. The existing pump flows downwards. The manual for the proposed replacement recommends that it should pump upwards. This would involve rearranging the flow &...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Was looking for some advice as I've been looking online for answers but can't seem to find any relevant ones, maybe as there's a couple different aspects to the question I'm asking. I'm a sole trader, predominantly fitting kitchens & bathrooms, fair bit of call out work for leaks etc...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock