Search the forum,

Discuss Sole trader apprenticeship question in the Plumbing Courses and Training area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all,

Was looking for some advice as I've been looking online for answers but can't seem to find any relevant ones, maybe as there's a couple different aspects to the question I'm asking.

I'm a sole trader, predominantly fitting kitchens & bathrooms, fair bit of call out work for leaks etc. I'm looking at taking on an apprentice as workload has been increasing for a while now and could do with some extra help, plus I'd like to be able to provide an opportunity to a young lad as I don't think there are enough of them out there.

My main question is what are the criteria I need to satisfy in order to register? I trained in carpentry but did a plumbing level 2 diploma at my local college in 2017, and have been doing plumbing related work since. Do I need a level 3 qualification? If so what might be the easiest route into that?

I've read that as a sole trader you can either set up as an employer and pay wages through PAYE, or use an apprentice training association (ATA) and let them do it all for you. Anyone had any experience with theses ATAs? Basically want to do the one that causes the least headache. Not averse to doing the PAYE thing but I previously ran a company and found the whole set up & maintenance of it annoying and confusing at times.

Thanks for anyone able to offer any help, let me know if I've posted this in the wrong subforum.

Cheers!

If you are looking to be the WBR (Work Based Recorder) for an apprentice's NVQ, I think you need 5 years' experience working as a plumber OR the NVQ2. So if you are already working as a plumber, you may be alright from that point of view: check with local college for confirmation as I may be out of date with my information.

Reply to Sole trader apprenticeship question in the Plumbing Courses and Training area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I've got a Glowworm Flexicom 24hx boiler and I'm trying to unplug the installer cartridge in order to wire up the ebus connection inside. From what I've read, it should be possible to do this without opening the boiler, but there is limited access around the boiler and I'm struggling! From the...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I’m after some advice. I would like to make the move into gas and heating engineering. Currently I’m looking at the routes available and think that going through a training centre would be most suitable for me. Some background: I’m a junior structural engineer and have spent...
Replies
Views
We have an all Vaillant setup - an EcoTEC Plus 637 system boiler plus wired VR720 and VR92 SensoCOMFORT controller, driving two CH zones plus DHW. It all works, but unfortunately we have found that the room stats are poorly located, and so the level of control is not what it should be. We had...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I'm about to progress from Level 2 C&G to Level 3 (starting in September): I'd always thought i would do the Level 3 Gas, as this was the only course my local college offered, but i've just found out they're now also offering Level 3 Plumbing and Heating. Does anyone have any advice...
Replies
Views
Hi my names Frank. I've not long completed my level 2 diploma and I'm now an apprentice doing site work. Just completed my 1st month and really enjoying the challenge . Previously worked as a comercial lobster fisherman and still do some weekends. Green as grass so may ask a few silly questions...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock