Search the forum,

Discuss Expansion Vessels in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

cr0ft

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Quick one folks. I have a spare potable water expansion vessel kicking around our unit. Rather than skip it, I was wondering if I can use it for a sealed CH circuit? I know you can't do it the other way round but my understanding is potable water expansion vessels are built to a better standard, i.e. mould resistant membrane. What do you guys reckon? If in doubt I will chuck it in the skip but would prefer not to waste it tbh.

Can't see any problems with using on heating system.

You may have to check the charge - might be too high for heating system

If you use it in your unit you could say it's for training!

I think you can use it for a heating system no problem.
It will mean the water is not in contact with the metal vessel, as the potable vessels membrane is normally basically a balloon for holding the water side. So better than a heating vessel as yours won't corrode while membrane remains intact.
I would never bin it anyway as must be worth twice what an ordinary heating vessel costs.
As oz-plumber said, you will need to reduce the precharge to suit your heating system, - normally I do the precharge at 1 bar and keep system fill charge at little more cold for most ch systems

Last edited:
check the operating temperature for the diaphragm, potable may be lower than a heating one, heating vessels are only usually rated to 70 degrees

I think some potable 1s can't take high temperatures. Just check d label!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Expansion Vessels in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and pebbles!) We saw that the pipe that takes water down the gutter was visibly full to the top. He said he will return with a coil to push through...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock