Discuss Expansion Vessels in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

cr0ft

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Quick one folks. I have a spare potable water expansion vessel kicking around our unit. Rather than skip it, I was wondering if I can use it for a sealed CH circuit? I know you can't do it the other way round but my understanding is potable water expansion vessels are built to a better standard, i.e. mould resistant membrane. What do you guys reckon? If in doubt I will chuck it in the skip but would prefer not to waste it tbh.

Can't see any problems with using on heating system.

You may have to check the charge - might be too high for heating system

If you use it in your unit you could say it's for training!

I think you can use it for a heating system no problem.
It will mean the water is not in contact with the metal vessel, as the potable vessels membrane is normally basically a balloon for holding the water side. So better than a heating vessel as yours won't corrode while membrane remains intact.
I would never bin it anyway as must be worth twice what an ordinary heating vessel costs.
As oz-plumber said, you will need to reduce the precharge to suit your heating system, - normally I do the precharge at 1 bar and keep system fill charge at little more cold for most ch systems

Last edited:
check the operating temperature for the diaphragm, potable may be lower than a heating one, heating vessels are only usually rated to 70 degrees

I think some potable 1s can't take high temperatures. Just check d label!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Expansion Vessels in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock