Search the forum,

Discuss Effect of pipe sizing in heating system in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Max

Current system Danesmoor utility installed in outbuilding. Flow/return connections on the boiler are each 1.5" BSP then straight into 32mm copper for a run underground of approx. 20m to the house. Main pump at boiler is UPS 25-55.

Proposal is to replace old boiler with Hounsfield Tuscan 26/30 floor stander:

However, this boiler has 3/4" BSP flow and 22mm return fittings. So my question is, what is the effect of 22mm/3/4" restrictions at boiler on the ability of the system to deliver flow rate through 32mm run to house? I'm no heating engineer, but I guess I'd expect the delivery point to not restrict the flow by having a boiler with smallish connections when it might deliver into a system like mine with 32mm flow and return pipework to the home? Once it gets to house of course it's the usual mix of 28/22 as appropriate to unvented cylinder and then eventually 15mm to rads.

My guess is that the ability to deliver total flow rate in a pressurised system is controlled by the ability of the pump to deliver the required pressure to the system overall so I'm probably worrying unnecessarily? As mentioned it's an unvented system.

I'd be fascinated to any insights into the pipe sizing in heating systems, particularly what seems like smallish bore sizing at the boiler and hence possible throttling of overall flow rates right at the start of the system?

Thanks for looking.

Reply to Effect of pipe sizing in heating system in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock