Search the forum,

Discuss Does this job look legitimate? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi.

After a visit for a boiler service a plumbing company has presented me with the problem/solution below. They have been on Checkatrade for a few years and have good reviews, yet I thought I would check for some independent advice as it is a lot of money to part with. Does this look legitimate to you? The cost includes a mixer tap replacement for which we have the new one.

On inspection it was found that when using the boiler and hob together, the hob reduces the pressure to almost turning off the gas completely. We call this insufficient gas pressure.

I have checked the regulator on the gas meter and it is within 21 millibar +-2. This means it's ok as it's within the correct working pressure. This is to maintain gas flow when one or more appliance is on.

As this is ok, it is therefore down to the gas pipe sizing being incorrect and existing mild steel/ barrel pipe work.

In order to repair this we have to install a new gas run in copper from the gas meter in 28mm to the first appliance and then in 22mm to the hob, and then reconnect.

We will need a new meter union, copper and fittings to complete this. Once this is done, a service can then be carried out.

With regards to the taps, they require reducing connectors. These have already been obtained and upon second visit and are ready to install.

The total cost to complete all the above is £620. This will include all materials needed, taps being installed and service carried out. No deposit is required.

Let me know your thoughts and look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks very much for your time.

Steve

In principle it sounds ok I’m guessing you have an old gas supply in the floor and a combi boiler has been connected to it ?

It does sound right, if the working pressure at the meter is ok but not at the appliance then its one of two things, either the pipes weren't sized appropriately to start with (which happens more often than it should) or there is a partial blockage. Had a job recently where corrosion in the old steel pipes was restricting the gas flow and had to repipe.

In principle it sounds ok I’m guessing you have an old gas supply in the floor and a combi boiler has been connected to it ?
yes, it is a combi and it does appear to be supplied in the floor
[automerge]1601656885[/automerge]
Thank you both for your replies.

Are we gas safe though, with the pressure dropping like this?

Last edited:
No, it definitely needs fixing. The description isn't 100% clear but if, as I am reading it, the pressure drop when the boiler is on is impacting the hob noticeably, to the point where it could cut it out temporarily if on simmer, I'd be putting it down as immediately dangerous and capping it. If it's just outside the allowable drop would still need fixing and would be at risk imo. With the caveat that have not seen it myself.

No, it definitely needs fixing. The description isn't 100% clear but if, as I am reading it, the pressure drop when the boiler is on is impacting the hob noticeably, to the point where it could cut it out temporarily if on simmer, I'd be putting it down as immediately dangerous and capping it. If it's just outside the allowable drop would still need fixing and would be at risk imo. With the caveat that have not seen it myself.

Thanks. If you're near Banstead you're welcome to visit and give us a quote along with a couple of other jobs.

You should only have a 1mb drop in pressure from the gas meter to each appliance.
it may Still operate correctly but it’s not to regulations and any warranty will be void.

Reply to Does this job look legitimate? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Our House is now fully Heat Pumped, insulated and we have had the Gas Meter Removed. We have a 1950s foldaway Cannon Gas Grill which is on the wall above the AEG Induction hob with 1 Gas burner. It worked very well on Natural gas. We have had the local gas co. install an LPG supply using...
Replies
Views
Hi, Non-professional / knowledgeable person here. I'm a Brit in Romania who volunteers for a charity building an old peoples home for needy old people. Out here competence and integrity is harder to come by in a worker, in fact it's hard to find workers at all where we are in the countryside...
Replies
Views
British Gas servicing the above boiler ramped up the boiler to maximum in the installer menu to do flue gas analysis. They also measured the working gas pressure on the gas valve test nipple. This fell to 8mbar on maximum and 17mbar on high setting. They then removed the isolation valve under...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, Just looking for a bit of advice really. last week we had our carbon monoxide alarm go off upstairs. We have 2 alarms in the house, the other one (downstairs) gave a leak flow history of 17PPM So I got someone in from British Gas, he did lots of combustion and air quality checks...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I currently have an external water meter (which is a sub-meter) of my neighbours meter. The mains supply runs into their garden and then splits off into my sub-meter. We are planning on building an extension near to the existing external sub-meter and I have sought advice from Yorkshire...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock