Discuss D2 pipework in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

simjohnson

HI
I bought a converted apartment in a mill block 5 years ago. I have an unvented boiler (electric). After a recent problem my plumber identified that the pipework from the tundish to the outside vent is the wrong size reduces from 22m to 15 mm pipe which runs for about 4 and a half metres before venting through the exterior wall as an open pipe (vents to the car park 25 foot below). Local building control have told me the pipework should be 22mm and that those were the regs at the time of the conversion. The developer who sold me the property says I should have discovered it in the 1st two years and won't help. The 15 mm pipework was not visible before I had the leak and only became apparent after I removed paneling to ensure the area of the leak dried out. Is the pipework as fitted likely to be a danger or cause more problems. Any views would be helpful as I'm debating whether to take the developer to the small claims for the cost of replacement.
Simon Johnson

it shouldn't vent straight out onto the car park , the water could quite easily hit someone and cause damage etc . it should be 22mm too as you've been told already. id recommend getting it put right but a suitably qualified person

Needs to be replaced as it will cause problems when any of the safety pressure / temperature devices blow off. The current pipe won't be able to cope and will back up flooding your property. LBC should have inspected this as part of their own inspections, unless the installer used a competent person scheme to register it.

The outside pipework should terminate no more than 4" from ground level and not be a danger.

Oh and welcome to the forum :)

Last edited:
Thanks for your help and advice. I wonder whether this was a cost cutting thing as you only realise the pipe decreases to 15mm when you lift the panels and boards. All apppears as should be in 22m when you look in the tank room. They converted 30 apartments probably all in the same way would that give them a significant saving on pipework ie 15mm instead of 22mm? I wonder? but thanks again.
Simon

Probably was down to cost 30 flats in 15mm rather then 22 is a big difference in ÂŁ

Probably was down to cost 30 flats in 15mm rather then 22 is a big difference in ÂŁ

Are you seriously suggesting that a developer would cut corners and endanger people just to save money???

Are you seriously suggesting that a developer would cut corners and endanger people just to save money???

Not at all , I'm pretty sure all were originally fitted in 22 and all 30 tenants removed them for scrap and refitted the 15 mm

Not at all , I'm pretty sure all were originally fitted in 22 and all 30 tenants removed them for scrap and refitted the 15 mm

Not unknown in Social Housing schemes, well done in reminding me :)

Haha, imagine the chaos ,grannies aat the scrap yard !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to D2 pipework in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi they used to say as a last resort you could discharge the D2 pipework at high level and turn it back to the wall. Similar to a combi boiler. I...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Hi, Later this year I am going away for a 2 week holiday and as the weather will be warm there is no need for the heating to be on and arguably...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock