Currently reading:
D2 pipework

Discuss D2 pipework in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

simjohnson

HI
I bought a converted apartment in a mill block 5 years ago. I have an unvented boiler (electric). After a recent problem my plumber identified that the pipework from the tundish to the outside vent is the wrong size reduces from 22m to 15 mm pipe which runs for about 4 and a half metres before venting through the exterior wall as an open pipe (vents to the car park 25 foot below). Local building control have told me the pipework should be 22mm and that those were the regs at the time of the conversion. The developer who sold me the property says I should have discovered it in the 1st two years and won't help. The 15 mm pipework was not visible before I had the leak and only became apparent after I removed paneling to ensure the area of the leak dried out. Is the pipework as fitted likely to be a danger or cause more problems. Any views would be helpful as I'm debating whether to take the developer to the small claims for the cost of replacement.
Simon Johnson

it shouldn't vent straight out onto the car park , the water could quite easily hit someone and cause damage etc . it should be 22mm too as you've been told already. id recommend getting it put right but a suitably qualified person

Needs to be replaced as it will cause problems when any of the safety pressure / temperature devices blow off. The current pipe won't be able to cope and will back up flooding your property. LBC should have inspected this as part of their own inspections, unless the installer used a competent person scheme to register it.

The outside pipework should terminate no more than 4" from ground level and not be a danger.

Oh and welcome to the forum :)

Last edited:
Thanks for your help and advice. I wonder whether this was a cost cutting thing as you only realise the pipe decreases to 15mm when you lift the panels and boards. All apppears as should be in 22m when you look in the tank room. They converted 30 apartments probably all in the same way would that give them a significant saving on pipework ie 15mm instead of 22mm? I wonder? but thanks again.
Simon

Probably was down to cost 30 flats in 15mm rather then 22 is a big difference in £

Probably was down to cost 30 flats in 15mm rather then 22 is a big difference in £

Are you seriously suggesting that a developer would cut corners and endanger people just to save money???

Are you seriously suggesting that a developer would cut corners and endanger people just to save money???

Not at all , I'm pretty sure all were originally fitted in 22 and all 30 tenants removed them for scrap and refitted the 15 mm

Not at all , I'm pretty sure all were originally fitted in 22 and all 30 tenants removed them for scrap and refitted the 15 mm

Not unknown in Social Housing schemes, well done in reminding me :)

Haha, imagine the chaos ,grannies aat the scrap yard !

i thought you needed to pay to advertise a company on the forum?? wheres the money? ill pm my account and sort code shortly :)

HI
I bought a converted apartment in a mill block 5 years ago. I have an unvented boiler (electric). After a recent problem my plumber identified that the pipework from the tundish to the outside vent is the wrong size reduces from 22m to 15 mm pipe which runs for about 4 and a half metres before venting through the exterior wall as an open pipe (vents to the car park 25 foot below). Local building control have told me the pipework should be 22mm and that those were the regs at the time of the conversion. The developer who sold me the property says I should have discovered it in the 1st two years and won't help. The 15 mm pipework was not visible before I had the leak and only became apparent after I removed paneling to ensure the area of the leak dried out. Is the pipework as fitted likely to be a danger or cause more problems. Any views would be helpful as I'm debating whether to take the developer to the small claims for the cost of replacement.
Simon Johnson

the pipework is whats know as a Latent Defect........." a latent defect is a fault in the property that could not have been discovered by a reasonably thorough inspection before the sale."

the design and original installation was not to the regulations so is not a wear and tear fault, if you speak to your house warrantee company (nhbc,zurich etc....) and tell them its a latent defect as well as a design defect and should be retified free of charge.

I'll try them again using your explanation. They have given me a 'knock back' once already (premier).

Google latent defect, you should get some information. My old company would have to repair/fix anything that was out of warrantee if it was deemed a latent defect...... anything designed or installed incorrectly free of charge. This was normal for our jobs for national house builders, local builders etc.......

at the end of the day the original installer did a dangerous installation and should not only be responsible for the correction of it but also be reported to building control and the hse.

Last edited:
not fit for purpose is another phrase d2 is a size larger than d1 but different lengths require still larger pipes and if it joins with other discharges it needs to be further enlarged and you cant discharge water released from t&pr at a position where someone could be injured by it tell the builder that and threaten to get very expensive if they think a massive and i do mean really massive bill will concentrate their greedy mind

Having real difficulty with the builder developer. They are saying as it's outside the two year minor defect guarantee they won't cover it and that I should have found out before still I'll keep plugging away at them. Thanks for your help.

Have you approached Building Control for their opinion yet as they had to sign the properties off.

Perhaps a solicitors letter initially and then the small claims court.
The argument that you should have noticed the defect earlier is irrelevant as you, as as lay-person, could not be expected to be conversant with Part G of the building regulations.
MM

Building control agree that it's wrong and have given me a copy of the regs in force at the time of the conversion to reinforce this. I've passed this to the developer as well as the e mail from building control stating they don't always inspect every aspect but really in part on builders to police themselves. I think it will have to be as you suggest Sols letter and small claims court. Thanks for your continued help.
Simon

hi simjohnson your quite right the builder does say its outside the two year minor defect period and i could tell you i am young and beautiful (its true but not relevent) this isnt a minor defect it is as a wheatly says a latent defect it doesnt has a time limit they knew it was wrong when they put it in and now is the time to put it right as they no there is a problem if water at 95 degree showered on you tomorrow they no all about the problem and they would have no defence for your million pound compensation claim and other people may be injured too include me on the list of people who need huge sums of money to get over the trauma

Developer hasn't replied since I mentioned what you told me to namely Latent Defect will keep you informed of developments.

Make sure that all the other affected properties get on to him, that should spoil his summer. Lol

Having real difficulty with the builder developer. They are saying as it's outside the two year minor defect guarantee they won't cover it and that I should have found out before still I'll keep plugging away at them. Thanks for your help.

First, this is not a minor defect, it's in contravention of Building Regs, which have legal force. Secondly, as already stated, as a lay parson you can't be expected to spot the flawed installation, especially as it was boxed in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also sounds as though BC are trying to pass the book as well. Expecting builders to police themselves is a bit of 'oh crap we didn't notice that'.

Good example, mate of mine went to service an oil boiler, it had recently been moved as part of an extension. He gave the cust an invoice and noted on it that no external remote acting fire valve had been fitted. Took a load of grief off of the woman about trying to get extra work etc, building control had passed all the extension. He left saying please yourself, I've noted it, if your house burns down good luck with the insurance claim. That week a building control officer phoned him and asked him to go back and fit the fire valve and send the bill to the bc.

So yes the developer has screwed up, but so has bc. But it's the developer who's going to have to pay for it.

Hi this was the last I had from the developer, just thought I would share it.
Mr Johnson,

I had instructed Gina not to reply to your earlier e-mail as we have made our position clear and are not willing to engage in any further dialogue with you about the matter

For the last time this is a non-essential minor defect brought to our attention well outside the minor defect period and unfortunately, although you do not like it, if you want the ‘blow-off’ pipe upsizing (although this is entirely unnecessary) you will now need to stand the cost of it yourself. There is no breach of contract as you suggest as the property was signed off for Building Regulation compliance and backed up with a 2 year Minor Defect Policy (& 10 year Major Structural) at the time of purchase to insure against any such irregularities. The fact that you have ‘missed the boat’ so to speak because presumably you did not get the boiler serviced in the first two years (?) (when presumably the defect would have been identified?) and then bring it to our attention or simply identify it in that time period when we would have returned to your property to put right does not represent a breach of contract

I would repeat my advice earlier that if you are intent on getting the ‘blow-off’ pipe upsized then you would be best spending your money employing a plumber rather than wasting it on legal action that will be ineffective.

For the record, we are not a member of a trade association

Regards

Tim Thomson
Technical/Construction Director

Britannia Developments Ltd
Lawns House
Lawns Lane
Farnley
Leeds
West Yorkshire
LS12 5ET

I'm afraid Timmy's shot himself in the foot.
He's obviously not that technical if he's writing letters with regard d2 pipework and not knowing the regs.
It's not a minor defect, there are potentially serious consequences. Print out a copy of the G3 regs and send them a letter stating clearly that their installation breaches these regulations and you want the issue rectifying within xx days. Failing that you will pursue a course of action to remedy these issues and Britannia will be liable for all costs involved. cc the local building control.

How funny! I hate arrogant developers with a passion.

Let's all phone up Timmy and tell him he's completely wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to D2 pipework in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back