Discuss Controls and zone valve in the Plumbing Zone area at PlumbersForums.net

Matt0029

Gas Engineer
Is there anyway of testing electrically with a multimeter or any other way. Of testing that when you turn a room stat up it is creating a demand and opening the zone valve? Thank you

S_plan_wiring_diagram.gif

• Call for demand on the programmer and the room stat down
  • Turn your multi meter to 600~ or what ever is similar. Put one probe into terminal 3 and the other into terminal 5. You should get 0 on the meter
  • Turn the room stat up. You should now get 230-240 on the meter. If you don't the room stat isn't working or the test was incorrect.
  • Now put one probe into 10 and 3. You should still get 230-240 on the meter. If you don't the valve isn't working
  • To confirm you've done the above correctly, turn the room stat down again and testing 10 and 3 you should get 0 on the meter

We've skipped a load of steps to start with, If you don't know much about electrical diagnostics I would start from the beginning and confirm the fused circuit and programmer are all working first.

240v on the orange to blue or green/yellow earth wire

Yes

You need to test AC (alternating current) on brown and blue to the valve when the call for heat is there. They are live and neutral to the motor. I would check the live to earth too. The grey is permanent live into a micro-switch and the orange is switched live from the micro-switch to boiler/pump etc.

Using Ohms, you can test the resistance through the synchron motor inside the valve. They can be replaced if it is that. It does not matter which wire off the motor is live or neutral.

Reply to Controls and zone valve in the Plumbing Zone area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Thought I'd attempt to outrank another forum. But I'm not sure my skills are there yet 🤔 😕 😅 Plumbing Zone forum. And contractor talk and...
Replies
Views
I have a CH circuit on a 2 way zone valve. It’s a long circuit with 15 rads on it but rather than shutting down the last 5 rads in the circuit...
Replies
Views
Afternoon Fellas If anyone has time to help with this snag it'd be much appreciated. We have a wet-floor system controlled by John Guest UH3 and...
Replies
Views
I have an older gas boiler HW heating system with a taco circulator pump for each zone that worked fine last season. When turning it on for the...
Replies
Views
A bit of clarification - I have extended a 3 bedroom semi detached and at the time central heating pipes were going in I told the plumber could I...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock