Discuss Condensation on cistern and pipework in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

andrewstokes87

Hi,

I have been to a customers property today as they reported a leak. On arrival and after 10 minutes investigation and monitoring I came to the conclusion that the pipework is watertight and there is just a lot of condensation building up which is causing it to feel wet. What can be done to get rid of this as it is mainly on the cistern for toilet and the pipework to this cistern. I know it is a pretty common problem when this is on an outside wall but I was just curious if there is an easy solution.

Thanks

ok thanks, is that the only way to stop this? I have worked with someone before and changed the WC cistern from ceramic to plastic but it did not stop this happening.

It's the lack of air circulation that causes condensation and the warm air hitting a cold surface and releasing the water vapour in the air.
The best is to fit a really good quality extractor fan designed for use in bathrooms (not a cheapo diy one) and/or a dehumidifier.
Showers switched on on a cold morning in a tiled bathroom also can cause condensation. Basically allow air to circulate.

Or just open a window, but not really practical in a British Winter!

fit an extractor fan with a humidity sensor, lagging pipework will stop pipework having condensation but the cistern will still be a problem.

Someone said to dry the cistern out and line it with foam to insulate it - not sure how to make sure it sticks though.

Pretty sure I read it on here somewhere although I've never tried it.

I'm sure I've seen a plastic liner for inside a cistern, just can't remember where.

....or connect it to the hot water!!! :) :)

You can get moisture traps for a couple of quid each. Little plastic pots filled with silica crystals (They need drying out when saturated though so you need a few to use in a rotation depending on how bad the condensation is)

Have you known those to work in this kind of situation though leelister? Or that just a suggestion? Because if that works that's got to be the preferred solution.

On the 2 occasions I've used em they have done the trick. Also told customer to leave window on vent if possible. Obviously, if the weather outside is freezing, the water coming into the cistern is gonna be damn cold and they will probably have the heating banging hot so the problem will be worse in the winter. For the price its worth a try

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Condensation on cistern and pipework in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock