Discuss Compression Type A drain off and female 15mm coupler - Plumb Center in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

M.Joshi

I bought a compression (threaded) Type A drain off and female 15mm coupler from my local Plumb Center. The thread on the drain off is longer than the female coupler fitting so some of the thread shows when screwed fully on.

Is this normal?

Hiya, is iot not just a long tail fitting? TBH if its water tight and the cust happy then all good but to my knowledge you can get long and short tails both solder and screwed.

It will not do any harm when screwed in tightly. Use about 15 wraps of tape and screw it up as much as possible, but with this amount of tape on the threads, you don't have to tighten it up to the last thread in the female coupler. Think "outside tap onto a wall plate" and you'll get the idea about screwing it on just enough to make it a nice tight fit.

The fittings combination you selected is a wee bit unusual, but will work just fine. I like the solder/compression version than the threaded one.

Hi, it's a screw fitting. The thread looks looks longer than the ones I've seen pictured elsewhere?

The female coupler is this one:

Center compression female iron straight connector 15 x 1/2

The drain-off looks like this but has a longer thread:

http://www.professionalbuildingsupp...products_images_2610-1-4821_800_800_False.png

I didn't select them, it's what the chap at the counter gave me when I asked for a compression Type A drain off and female 15mm coupler. Initially, he gave me a non-threaded drain off but I said it was the wrong type and he then searched and found one with a thread. Where would you use the ones with a longer thread?

Last edited by a moderator:
Not another mammoth discussion thread about a really basic and obvious subject please!!!

Not another mammoth discussion thread about a really basic and obvious subject please!!!

Are you a moderator to be passing such judgement?!

I'm sure there are other simple questions posted on here daily - why pick on this one?

I come on here to ask advice and share advice - not to be judged.

Last edited by a moderator:
the fem and male thread r just different, personally i wouldnt worry bout it. different companies, different supplies, different length threads

Absolutely nothing to worry about. Just use the thread tape in the way I described above. As I said, not the fittings combination I'd chose, but you've been given them at the counter and they will work just fine.

For the next time this problem pops up, use one of these instead.......

Attachments

• Type A drain cock.jpg
    Type A drain cock.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 29
For the next time this problem pops up, use one of these instead.......

Hi system3, thanks. It's only at home - I'm not a plumber! Hopefully won't have to change one again! I purchased the screw thread type one as someone on here mentioned that the drain off can easily be changed in the future if it leaks. The female 15mm coupler can be left in place and the old drain off removed and a new one fitted in its place.

I suppose you could easily change the one you've posted too. I'm assuming you'd need a 15mm back-back threaded compression coupler instead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Compression Type A drain off and female 15mm coupler - Plumb Center in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

In short: Do suppliers sometimes list BSPT as BSP? I need a tee, 22mm each end with a BSPT in the middle for an expansion vessel to dangle from...
Replies
Views
Morning all. I hope this is the correct place for this post. If not i'll happily move it to another forum area. I am renovating a property and...
Replies
Views
[ASIDE: I did wonder if this was the best forum for this but figured as it was a boiler related issue that the gas engineers would be dealing...
Replies
Views
Do you recognise this shower drain rubber seal? I have searched the web and common plumbing spares suppliers but I cannot find which it is. It...
Replies
Views
Hello hello,, Hoping there are some experts or experienced Bulgarian plumbing chaps in this site ?. Here in the UK I can fit a bathroom just with...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock