Search the forum,

Discuss Commissioning some elses' install in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

bassmonster

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I was just reading through this months "gas engineer" publication and came across the following:

pic.jpg

When I sat my ACS exams not to long ago, one of the option was to Riddor the boiler if the install was carried out by someone who's unqualified which i thought was the correct answer at first.

However, it turns out that an engineer can comission the boiler.

what's the legal ins and outs...?

Don't know about putting a riddor on it unless you have seen the install, anyone who works on gas must be registered , you can if your silly enough commission and put your name on the paper work, I've never done it but there are people that will, is it the risk you are prepared take, This thing with Firemen doing work on the side has been going on for years, If you did all the work finding out who he is, and reported it to GS I doubt whether anything would be done about it

The legal standpoint is

knowingly.

If you knowingly by pre arrangement do the commissioning - you are also breaking the law.

If you turn up and find a system installed and it transpires it was done illegally. You can commission legally it and take full responsibility for the full monty - be it on your shoulders.

There thinking is they cant condone it and rightly so obviously.
But theyd rather have safe systems ultimately - than leave them in and refuse to allow

The legal standpoint is

knowingly.

If you knowingly by pre arrangement do the commissioning - you are also breaking the law.

If you turn up and find a system installed and it transpires it was done illegally. You can commission legally it and take full responsibility for the full monty - be it on your shoulders.

There thinking is they cant condone it and rightly so obviously.
But theyd rather have safe systems ultimately - than leave them in and refuse to allow

That is not what I got off gas safe.

They said I could commission the boiler. I would have to take responsibility for everything including the whole gas run flue etc.

they then said that in order to commission the boiler you have to check the seals, route, termination of the flue. Check the gas pipe in it's entire length as you don't know what they have touched. The wiring. The fixings and so on.

That is what ive just said.

Go to specs avers.

"You take responsibility for the full monty"

Last edited by a moderator:
GRRRRRR really irritates me this. I used to work for a mate who would regularly get requests for commission only work, he had an apprentice at BG who would occasionally fit a system for the extra dosh and ask my mate to commission and register. His work was immaculate, his pipe bending second to none and his installs always spot on to the regs. My pal would do it for him as it was probably once every twelve months.
We also had referrals to commission from a local Gas Reg'd fitter, who would fit boilers then tell the customer to ring us to get it commissioned and registered. These installs were shocking, rubbish work, undersized pipe, flues stuck out 600mm from the wall, condense pipe cut at the other side of the wall and finished with a 22mm elbow draining down the wall. I rang Corgi once to double check the guy was registered and he was, they took no action !!!

I NEVER commission anyone else's work, been asked, but the £1000 price puts people off !!!

I more often than not find its only the GSR engineers who actually care about whats going on .

I come across more and more builders that vary out gas work illegally, many a home owner carry out diy gas works .
We all know of guys that who work on gas through the week and on weekends do cash in handers.
Nothing happens not a jot .
Lost count the amount of uncommisioned boilers i come across nowadays.

On my gsr inspection in the summer the inspector said he will email the house we worked on direct about their gas faults we found.
The response from the home owner ' i never read his email just deleted it'

kinda says it all

an what an interesting read it is, i carry a copy in the van to show customers who want it doing, thus far none have!!!!

Had my gas safe probation lifted commissioning someone else's work. Worked for same company though. I pointed out loads of faults as did he and he sent an e-mail to company with a time limit to put things right.

Had my gas safe probation lifted commissioning someone else's work. Worked for same company though. I pointed out loads of faults as did he and he sent an e-mail to company with a time limit to put things right.
That was my own personal registration, already had companies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Commissioning some elses' install in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock