Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Column radiators effective? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
X

Xena2012

Can anyone tell me if 'designer' column radiators are less effective than double panel ones. A plumber told me that they only radiate, they don't convect heat and most heat in a room is via convection therefore the column radiator is less effective. This is a bit awkward as I have already bought some column radiators.

Can someone confirm if this is true or not? if less effective, is the difference significant? I could take the radiators back but we prefer the column style and I would like impartial advice.

Thanks

It depends on the radiator and its design, I recently fitted a column radiator from b&q that a customer purchased and I was surprised by its btu output as normally they are quiet low.

you need to calculate the heat requirements of the room then buy a radiator that has the correct heat output.

A plumber did that and the radiators I bought matched that. So one room required 2.8kw and I have 2 column radiators to meet that requirement, each about 1.4kw. Today's plumber said that even though the rads say 1.4 kw each they are still less effective and might not heat the room.

so I guess the question is if we have done the heat requirement calcs and bought rads that can supply that (even if they are column rads) then is this good enough or will we still have cold rooms as they don't convect and are less effective. Or will they just take a bit longer to heat the room?

Radiators are quite wrongly named as they don't actually radiate much heat. If you stand a foot in front of a radiator you will hardly feel any heat radiating from it, if at all.
Radiant heat is like standing in front of a bar electric fire where even if you are standing a few feet in front of it, you can feel the heat hitting you.

Radiators should really be called convectors. Convection is the movement of air currents. No matter what style "radiators" they are they still convect but some do so better than others.
Your designer rads will still convect heat but just not as well as panel rads do.
The output of any radiator is what it is as stated by the manu so no matter what the output is, if the rad is properly sized for the heat loss of the room it will still heat it.

As above!

The output of a rad is the output it doesnt matter what size shape etc it is..

It its says 6000btus then its 6000btus.

You column rad may have to be larger to give this output but a manufacturer cant lie about it

As above!

The output of a rad is the output it doesnt matter what size shape etc it is..

It its says 6000btus then its 6000btus.

You column rad may have to be larger to give this output but a manufacturer cant lie about it
It is all about surface area I believe, however if it says 1.75kW (6000) & you put in cooler water than they did, you will not get the same out !! check your deta T's & do the adjustments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Column radiators effective? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock