Discuss Cleaning central heating system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

philupnorth

Hi all

Just joined the forum

I spent this afternoon replacing a radiator which had a leak in the bottom & am planning on giving the heating system a proper clean with Fernox F3 as soon as the weather gets a little colder so it can have a week to run through the system.

Because I had to replace the radiator I am a little concerned that giving the system a good clean could end up with another radiator starting to leak or could possible cause some problems with the boiler. I have no idea how old the system is as I've lived here for 14 years & it was installed before I moved in & is an old Baxi back boiler

The downstairs radiators dont have an drain plugs except for one of them so will need to drain & refill it a couple of times to get as much muck out as possible although I am thinking of loosening the radiator connectors & lowering each radiator to the floor to drain the water out & then fit drain plugs, is this a good idea or should I just shut off each radiator at each end & use a towel to soak up an water when I remove it?

Thanks in advance for any advice

While we still have sunny days, I'll say drain the whole system down, replace the boiler (Ray has good deals on Ideal Vogue boilers with 10 yrs warranty) and any suspect rads (or all the rads).
The last thing you want is a problem in December

Hi there and welcome to the forum, i take it your radiators are fed from above or do the pipes go into the floor (downstairs) sometimes you will find a drain point sticking out of your wall somewhere outside the house, your always better to have your heating water cleaned as better heat and fuel efficiency, if your rads are fed from up stair and only one has a drain point then stick a hose on the drain point run it outside and open , Once been running for a few minutes remember and open upstair airing points on rads to allow gravity in to assist draining, this will empty all of the system apart from the other downstair rads which are the only ones youyl need to empty with large square tubs, if done right you shouldnt need towels,, oh i ment to say remember and switch cold water off b4 u start lol

Thanks for the replies guys

I cant afford a new boiler at the moment as recently bought a 3Kw solar system on the roof & the amount it would cost to replace the boiler vs the saving I would make in efficiency isnt worth it at the moment as it would take years to pay for itself as I also fitted a solar iboost which heats the hot water tank with the excess energy I produce but am planning on replacing the boiler in a couple of years unless it dies before then

I was thinking of getting a couple of self cutting drain plugs but then decided against it & do the job properly & might replace the radiators with new ones as the radiator I replaced was the second one I have had problems with in the last couple of years so only need to replace another 3 of them as replaced the one in the bathroom with a big towel radiator a couple of years ago

Fit a "flow" micro boiler your boiler is free, you only pay for install and after 5 years the electricity it generates is 50% yours.

Fit a "flow" micro boiler your boiler is free, you only pay for install and after 5 years the electricity it generates is 50% yours.

I better retrain and become a Flow Boiler Installer. Seems they are going to take over the domestic market

I had a look into this today & I'm not sure as I would be tied into a slightly more expensive tariff but would need to stay with the company for a minimum of 5 years & to keep warranted stay with them forever.

Its an interesting thought but dont know if its the right choice & found a statement saying Units need a consistent heat load to supply for a minimum of 11 hours per day throughout the year, for 17 hours per day for two thirds of the year in order to be economic which is way more than the time I have the gas on at the moment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Cleaning central heating system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Hi, I have a Worcester 28i junior boiler that has started to lose pressure, only when using the central heating. When using hot water I have no...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Back