Search the forum,

Discuss Cistern stuck to pan - removal issues in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gjp123

Can anyone advise?

I am trying to remove the cistern from a Bellavista low level close-coupled pair. I have removed all the fixings but I cannot get the cistern to lift. I suspect that it is just a very tight fit in the rubber seal between the cistern and pan but I am afraid to pull too hard for fear of damaging the ceramic.
Is there anything anyone uses to loosen it? Or - as I am replacing the flush valve anyway should I just break it out?

A low level close couple? Is there such a thing?

Does sound like a close couple, just give it a twist and ease it off.

I had one a while back, some clown had siliconed the cistern to the pan. Just a lot of twisting and pulling finally freed it.

See it often now - half of england is held up / together with silicone, although to be fair some of the ceramics now are incredibly mishapen.

If all fixings definetly removed - sit on the toilet the wrong way with your hands on your thighs for leverage and don't just pull up but from side to side and in a twisting motion - you won't damage the ceramic unless they've used superglue, the silicone will give way first.

Thanks all for the advice.
Sounds like I have some heaving to do.

Close coupled low level that's quality must remember that....:crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy:

A close-coupled toilet is at low level, a lower level than a low level infact. Low level toilet is a stupid name. It should be high level, mid-high level and close-coupled.

get a hacksaw blade and roger it between the two surfaces from behind so not to mark it.
oh matron.!.

An old very sharp meat carving knife slid along the back of the cistern and shoved between the pan and cistern. (WATCH YOUR FINGERS!)

Slide a filler knife along it (the type of thin blade used for polyfilla etc), buy some silicone removal liquid from Screw fix, spray it evenly between the gap made by your filler knife, wait ten minutes for it to do it's stuff and voila, one freed up unstuck cistern! This also works for basins that have been stuck to the wall with silicone and helps remove them without pulling off the tiles behind the basin.

Hate the bloody silicone kids that use it on everything, even seen it on compression fittings.

Last edited by a moderator:
Came across an entire bathroom suite which had been stuck to the floor and walls with silicone. Had to take the basin off and it was touch and go whether I was going to be able to without damaging it as it was stuck on so hard.

Came across an entire bathroom suite which had been stuck to the floor and walls with silicone. Had to take the basin off and it was touch and go whether I was going to be able to without damaging it as it was stuck on so hard.

Had a new tiler that was amazed that I actually screwed down the toilet with screws and not just siliconed it.

Thanks to all
(apart from those laughing at my incorrect nomenclature)

Had a new tiler that was amazed that I actually screwed down the toilet with screws and not just siliconed it.
I find it best to fit toilet to the floor dry, then when all working & tested just a very small line of clear silicone around base and clean excess. Very strong, but can be cut easily later. Same with a basin, screw to wall, then tiny bead at top. Saves a fortune in silicone also!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Cistern stuck to pan - removal issues in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock