Search the forum,

Discuss Check valves on existing showers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaydebruyne

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I've got a nasty job tomorrow if fitting check valves on concealed shower valves, 3 of them in one house.

I'm thinking the best way about it is to break out 2 rows of tiles underneath the shower valve in a hope I can undo the compression nut on the cold/hot feed and cut into the pipe and fit the check valve, then just put the nut back on the shower valve.

In theory.

Anyone got any better, easier, cleaner solutions?

Tbh, we're doing it as one or more of the thermostatic showers have defective stat cartridges and is causing a cross flow of hot and cold. So even if we fit the check valves the showers will still need new stat cartridges, so why not just replace them??

I guess for future issues but still...

Anyway, that's the task. I need a decent solution if mine is rubbish.

Here is one of the showers, two are the same..

5c2d81a791d9156655371408cdc73f0e.jpg

And then there's this beast!!!

6da14e66732de12530fbd4b829ed2f62.jpg

Omg, rather you than me... Surely there's a better solution, I just don't know it :/

Can't you find the supply pipes elsewhere & not smah the tiles? Surely converting to unvented cylinder would be a better job & not smash any tiles?

can you get above them (pipework in loft etc?)

Nope, it's in a block of flats.. No chance of converting system either.. Literally everything is tiled in bathrooms, all water and heating is communal too :(((

Nope, it's in a block of flats.. No chance of converting system either.. Literally everything is tiled in bathrooms, all water and heating is communal too :(((

so where the pipes go ? and cant get into them somewhere before branch onto main run?

The second one looks like the type that is just supported by a couple of brackets and will lift off
Usually piped up with flexis
The other is going to be fun if you cant access the floor or ceiling, doubt you'll match the tiles
Other option is take of valve cover plate to see if they are piped from above or below, then once valves are fitted, get a piece of oversized mirror to cover the missing tile/s

I'd need to do the feed to each shower otherwise there will still be a cross flow ... Will investigate more tomorrow but I can't see any other way around it. There is no way of tracing the pipe run as everything is tiled in or under floorboards. I'm just hoping I can't shut the water off ;)

The second one looks like the type that is just supported by a couple of brackets and will lift off
Usually piped up with flexis
The other is going to be fun if you cant access the floor or ceiling, doubt you'll match the tiles
Other option is take of valve cover plate to see if they are piped from above or below, then once valves are fitted, get a piece of oversized mirror to cover the missing tile/s

Will just have to do what you said, take off cover plate see where pipes go and then remove tiles and do it that way.. Tiles aren't my problem, I'll let my boss deal with that

I take it main problem is mains cold gravity hot? Might be cheaper to boost hot water pressure, what about a hot water booster pump. Stuart turners Monsoon range might work?

I take it main problem is mains cold gravity hot? Might be cheaper to boost hot water pressure, what about a hot water booster pump. Stuart turners Monsoon range might work?

No, the issue is there is cross flow due to a defective shower thermostatic cartridge so the cold water is running warm in every single outlet other than kitchen sink obviously

No, the issue is there is cross flow due to a defective shower thermostatic cartridge so the cold water is running warm in every single outlet other than kitchen sink obviously

Take cover plates off, you can then get your fingers on the feed pipes & feel which ones is back feeding! Maybe just repair that one then or order a new cartridge

Sorry missed your point about faulty cartridge. Why not just replace the cartridge. Breaking out tiles seems a lot of work when it looks like a faulty shower cartridge. Also you might struggle to find them same tiles

Sorry missed your point about faulty cartridge. Why not just replace the cartridge. Breaking out tiles seems a lot of work when it looks like a faulty shower cartridge. Also you might struggle to find them same tiles

That was my point also.. But the job is to fit check valves.. On all showers.. Plus do the other 6 jobs on my diary for tomorrow lol

Ok matey good luck tomorrow if your just down for the plumbing then all you can do is what your told too. The fact that your asking for other plumbers opinions is admirable. I just feel sorry for the customer when your builder turns round and says he cant find them 20yr old tiles.

I'm surprised the shower valves don't have check valves built in. AFAIK all the ones we used to put in came with them already fitted, but that might have been a manufacturers' option.

the second one is easy it will just lift of the first one is an aqualisa and should have check valves fitted in the inlets just ease the plate of undo the nuts and take the mixer out to check my money is on the fault being on the second one so i would do that first

So in the end I didn't get there til quite late so had to rebook it, but got a chance to check out isolation situ and the 2 aqualisa valves can be isolated above the shower and I can put the check valves there so don't have to break tiles. That large monstrosity is like a few have said, just in brackets with flexis which I'll have to break tiles and freeze pipes to do as no means of isolation.. At least it's not as bad a I thought ;) thanks for all your help guys, much appreciated!!!

Surely that only is occurring because the supplies aren't balanced?

Nope.. Put the check valves in today and instantly cured. Didn't have to tamper with the jet pack either as it was just one valve that was causing the issue.. Job done. Just need to change the stat cartridge now ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Check valves on existing showers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Looking for any ideas to help. I've a Heatrae Sadia Hot Water tank, heated through Oil fired boiler (working fine). A week ago I reset the air gap as I was having dripping from the pressure relief valve. Since then I've lost a lot of pressure from the hot water feed to my shower. The rest of...
Replies
Views
W
Hello all. I have fitted three new Saracen timed flow valves to existing shower rooms. But these valves are still allowing water to flow from shower head and won't close off. I have tried various options and sorted other connections in the shower lines 5 on one line 3 on other. Only 1 new...
Replies
Views
Hi all. My hot water feed for my shower is on the left and the cold is on the right. My understanding is that this is correct and this is also stated in the instruction manual for my valve. However when I turn the mixer clockwise cold water is coming out the shower instead of hot water. When...
Replies
Views
S
Hi All I had an unvented cylinder fitted about 6 years ago. It only supplies hot water to my shower. I was hoping for a much better flow rate from the shower but it seemed no different from the original combi boiler hot feed. There is (unusually) a lever that lets me select the combi or the...
Replies
Views
Steveo111
S
S
Hi all. My hot supply for my shower is on the left and my cold feed is on the right. My understanding is that this is correct and this is also stated in the user manu.al. However when I turn my mixer clockwise the water is turning cold when it should be hot. When I turn it anticlockwise the...
Replies
Views
Saneal
S
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock