Discuss change of career - advice please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

Octopus Prime

Hi all.

Im 30 and been working the last 10 years as a professional carpenter. Over the last 4-5 years ive branched out into other trades like tiling and basic plumbing so I can fit kitchens and bathrooms with little external help. Im a sole trader and, not to blow my own trumpet, really good at what I do.

However, over the last year my income has taken a rapid drop and getting work is a struggle. I dont know whats going on :(

I enjoy plumbing more than anything else I do and fine carpentry seems to be dieing as I cant compete with larger company's.

So. Ive decided to get a loan from the bank and blow it on plumbing/gas safe courses. Ive got my eye on intensive courses at able skills in Dartford. I done a five day plumbing course there 4 years ago and it was one of the best bits of education ive had.

I need advice Though.
What is the process? Once ive done the course I need to work with someone to build up a portfolio right? How long is this? Does it pay?

What are the chances of getting a job at the moment. Who are the best companies to aproch?

I need to make this as seamless as possible as I dont want to cause to much financial stress on my family.

Any advice or help welcome
Thanks in advance

Gary

Hi Gary,
I've used able skills too for the level 2 City & guilds. I really liked the course but am struggling with finding work. A lot of companies, understandably want 2-3 years on the tools/time served apprenticeship etc.
I think able skills offer the option to go out with their chap to get your NVQ/gas safe portfolio done but that's additional to the course cost.
Based on your age you may be able to do the 24+ government loan on the level 3 which I think they bundle the gas in to too but depends on a few things. They'll be able to tell you more on that though.

In terms of companies to approach, I wish that I could help you, it's exactly what I'm looking for too. I'd probably guess the best bet would be to get in with a multi trade company as a carpenter then do the plumbing course/courses (I did the weekend one) then try to move within the company.

Good luck.

Although you'll get the qualification out of the fast courses/couple of weeks,
I don't think you can really learn everything you need to know to be a full time plumber, let alone gas installer on the short courses, you'd be better of "IN MY OPINION" to find a plumber who's looking for someone to work with who can teach you what you need whilst working together, if you can bring something to the table, I'E joinery and tiling which you can already do

Hi there Gary, im not a great believer in these fast track courses and i dare say there are some really good colleges out there that arent far off the mark, but when it comes to trades experience is everything , Its ok doing a course but what happens if you get called to do a job and its not piped the right way or its a different style tank than the one they showed you in the college then it can be hard to know the solution, good on you for wanting to further yourself in a great trade but have you tried local companies for an adult trannie aprenticeship as this is the way to do it, granted its hard to get in as this but its worth a try - then if no joy then look at your course,,, good luck mate

Carry on with doing your kitchens/bathrooms. If you cant make that pay, whats the point of doing the courses?

10 full bathrooms/kitchens a year is all you need

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to change of career - advice please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I’m finding it hard breaking into the industry. I’m a trainee plumber living in London Hello, I'm a trainee plumber who lives in London who's...
Replies
Views
I was finished my plumber course level2 need company o man to signature my portfolio. I was finished last year. I try to find company no easy to...
Replies
Views
Another newbie in the forums. I’m a 33 year old and after having worked in the Graphic/Web Design industry for around 8 years, I worked a few...
Replies
Views
Hi Guys, Im looking to come to Australia in january/febuary 2024. I have a working holiday visa already sorted. I run my own plumbing and heating...
Replies
Views
Hi, need your honest views if you would be so kind. I’m 48 and work for the NHS (office based) and earn 44k a year. Ive been do fustrated and fed...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock