Search the forum,

Discuss Cast-iron rads in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riley

Super Moderator
S. Mod
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Been installing four reclaimed cast-iron radiators for a customer.

To say they've been a nightmare is a bit of an understatement. Couldn't shift any of the old configurations pipework and caps so I have been forced to drill and tap them so that I can set them up with the flow and return bottom option.

I have now pretty much got them fully installed however two of the newly tapped holes are leaking I have tried every joint sealing method I can think of. Does anybody have a foolproof method to seal these bloody things??

I have tried in no particular order , PTFE, gas PTFE, hemp and boss white, Loctite, even a bit of a lsx. Still nothing.

Does anybody have any alternatives here as I'm starting to pull my hair out a bit

May not be your new fittings but maybe you`ve just found out why they were discarded.

Ha ha damn you, you could be right.

Oh she will be charged accordingly don't worry it's more my time of which I don't have much spare of the moment

you tried locktight 577 as its good stuff but boss white and hemp wont seal it that would be worrying me your sure its not cracked ?

and how many drill bits you gone through :D

It's just frustrating because there is no reason at all why they shouldn't seal The thread tappings are nice and clean all cut with a new half inch tap

It's just frustrating because there is no reason at all why they shouldn't seal The thread tappings are nice and clean all cut with a new half inch tap

dont want to seem stupid but you checked the threads with a flash light? and there are defo no cracks ? if its all good loctight 577 should do it let it set for 24 hours before pressure and you will be ok

you tried locktight 577 as its good stuff but boss white and hemp wont seal it that would be worrying me your sure its not cracked ?

and how many drill bits you gone through :D
Definitely not cracked and I don't think I ruined even one drillbit. The most difficult bit was getting them into some sort of a stand to hold them up right while they were drilled. Forgive me Shaun all the joints on these radiators that I haven't had to take apart appear to be made up with hemp have I misread the situation

dont want to seem stupid but you checked the threads with a flash light? and there are defo no cracks ? if its all good loctight 577 should do it let it set for 24 hours before pressure and you will be ok

I will give that a bash mate The threads are absolutely sound as a pound I checked every single one over as I didn't want to give the customer any comeback on it

I will give that a bash mate The threads are absolutely sound as a pound I checked every single one over as I didn't want to give the customer any comeback on it

if there threads are good then 577 will seal, may be stupid but the thing your treading/ tightening in (rad tail / air plug is good, threaded wise)????

The 1/2 - 3/4 rad adapter looks fairly decent. Ran it through my 1/2" die a few times to make sure so not sure that's the problem

Is it the 1/2 " tail that's leaking, or the adapter
If it's the tail, can you use a shouldered type to get a better seal

1/2" male valve screwing into newly tapped female thread in radiator

BSP & BSPT mixed up, sure it`s not but just throwing that in the ring so to speak.

Are you roughing up the thread on the tail?

Found that with cast iron threads, the cast is very sharp an just tears the ptfe tape off the fitting.

Have found de-burring the outside of the cast iron female thread helps get tape inside thread.
You may also want to run a gal fitting in and out of the thread a few times to loosen nit up a little and take off any sharp edges.

Are you roughing up the thread on the tail?

Found that with cast iron threads, the cast is very sharp an just tears the ptfe tape off the fitting.

Have found de-burring the outside of the cast iron female thread helps get tape inside thread.
You may also want to run a gal fitting in and out of the thread a few times to loosen nit up a little and take off any sharp edges.

Good shout mate I'll give it a bash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Cast-iron rads in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock