• Welcome to PlumbersForums.net (formerly UKPlumbersForums.co.uk). Please login with your usual username and password. Or register for free if you haven't already done so.

Discuss Can i use a ball lever as mains stopcock in the Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

marc1977

Reaction score
Hi,

Is it OK to use a ball lever as a mains stopcock? ive read a few old threads but none of them seem to have definitive answer! also can you use plastic / push fit off a mains stopcock or does it have to be copper?

Tea-Break

Reaction score
Providing the valve in question has appropriate WRAS approval, I see no problem.
You can buy stopcocks with push fit connections, although again it would need approval to demonstrate compliance with Water Regs.

YorkshireDave

Plumber
Reaction score
Hi,

Is it OK to use a ball lever as a mains stopcock? ive read a few old threads but none of them seem to have definitive answer! also can you use plastic / push fit off a mains stopcock or does it have to be copper?
Personally I always added them rather than replaced. The lever gave a quick easy on/off but ultimately the BS1010 with a rubber washer will prove more usable/reliable over long periods IMO.

BYP

GSR
Reaction score
Why do you want to use a lever valve? If it’s because they are easier to turn for the elderly, then I would install a surestop if it’s possible. If you install a surestop you will need to put a either a lever valve or a standard stop tap before the surestop. To answer your original question yes you can use a lever valve.

YorkshireDave

Plumber
Reaction score
Why do you want to use a lever valve? If it’s because they are easier to turn for the elderly, then I would install a surestop if it’s possible.
Having installed many surestops many elderly still do not have the strength to operate them. A lever is pulled about the moment of closure and is a sphere. A surestop takes great 'point' pressure from a thumb which many just can't do. Sorry, BYP but I'm a pragmatist ;)

ShaunCorbs

S. Mod
Trusted
Plumber
GSR
Reaction score
No you can’t water board dont like you using them so they could make you change it

Don’t ask me why as I personally don’t see an issue

oz-plumber

Plumber
Reaction score
Lever valves are not stop cocks.
If you use a lever valve you will need to install a backflow prevention valve downstream of the lever valve.

The idea is that if the mains are switched off, water from your property cannot enter the mains - potentially contaminating the mains water supply.
So I would say you can use one with an approved backflow prevention valve.

We generally install dual check valves downstream if the lever valve

townfanjon

Trusted
Plumber
GSR
Reaction score
No you can’t water board dont like you using them so they could make you change it
Nah , they dont own the stoptap .

Personally I think they think down the lines of the “lever arms” have not been around to “stand the test of time “ .

CBW1982

Plumber
GSR
Reaction score
Nah , they dont own the stoptap .

Personally I think they think down the lines of the “lever arms” have not been around to “stand the test of time “ .
See attached photo. They don’t own the stoptap but they are responsible for enforcing the water regulations and may legally ask for it to be removed if they are not happy with the fitting if it contravenes the regulations. o_O

3D0842B5-8E57-4EBC-A4F1-3B38B11D00D4.jpeg

YorkshireDave

Plumber
Reaction score
Excuse me for being a pedant, but I'd appreciate a re-read girls. I said I put BOTH in... ;)

Oh, just a point of clarification. Since when does a BS1010 stop valve have a backflow prevention device installed? The only stop tap of any repute I can find is Peglers (it's the only one WRAS approved), and it does not have one!

Last edited:

townfanjon

Trusted
Plumber
GSR
Reaction score
See attached photo. They don’t own the stoptap but they are responsible for enforcing the water regulations and may legally ask for it to be removed if they are not happy with the fitting if it contravenes the regulations. o_O

View attachment 36948
Unless the full link isnt working and there’s something else , it says Yes !!
I would love to see the waterboard tell some of my customers their lever arm is coming out !!
I have spent years telling and training them to turn off their water when they go away , they love em and use them because its easy . Go back to stop taps and they wouldn’t bother lol .

YorkshireDave

Plumber
Reaction score
Unless the full link isnt working and there’s something else , it says Yes !!
I would love to see the waterboard tell some of my customers their lever arm is coming out !!
I have spent years telling and training them to turn off their water when they go away , they love em and use them because its easy . Go back to stop taps and they wouldn’t bother lol .
Quite right Jon. Oh and telling them to remove it would directly contravene their mandate so they waste water! Bl00dy rules!

Tea-Break

Reaction score
All current BS1010 stopcocks, are fixed jumper.
So no backflow protection.
There is no requirement for this at point of entry to a property... just means of isolation with a DoC immediately downstream.

Stigster

Plumber
Reaction score
Just to add to the backflow prevention at the incoming main question, our backflow prevention comes from a variety of methods, though mainly air gaps, at the point of use or point of storage and not at the main where it enters the property.

Forum Sponsors

Corgi - Plumbing Supplies for Professional Plumbers

Plumbase - Plumbing Parts for Plumbers

Underflor Heating Systems by uHeat

Wetroom Supplies by Wetroom Store

Nicobond - Wetroom and Tiling Supplies

Corgi - Plumbing Supplies for Professional Plumbers

Top Bottom