Search the forum,

Discuss Bypass Radiator messing up the heating in the house? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

C

Clearlynotaplumber

Pardon my lack of explanation skills, I would try to summarise and make it comprehensive as much as I can. I hope someone can help or advice.

I have a CH system with a combi boiler and a bypass radiator in the hallway.

However the problem is the house is quite cold. I am in an end of terrace and the room on the side of the house where there is no neighbours is freezing. So in that room I need the radiator on and I put the TRV at the maximum level, but the boiler itself would not turn on UNLESS the thermostat downstairs is at 24 - 25 degrees. Because basically if it detects that the bypass radiator has reached a decent heat level (let's say 20 degrees) then it doesn't bother getting on for any other room, despite using the TRV individually in the rooms. Is this normal? How do I fix it? The boiler was installed only a year ago, but the bypass radiator system was there before I moved in.

I really only need the heater on in that room where there is no neighbours, no party walls. And by doing so I am currently spending £4 to £5 a day of gas according to my smart meter. It is not sustainable, having only one room warm (and of course the hallway because, bypass radiator).

Remove the trv head off that room and shut / close the bypass rad on the valves

Remove the trv head off that room and shut / close the bypass rad on the valves

Thank you Shaun.

Is it safe to close the bypass rad on the valves? Like, why is there a bypass radiator in the first place? this is the first property I live in that has one, no other place I was in had it. And last question, if I close the bypass radiator, why do I need to remove the TRV from the room where I need the heat in?

Thank you again

Yes if you turn the bypass valve off you will need to remove a trv head so that’s the new bypass rad

Yes if you turn the bypass valve off you will need to remove a trv head so that’s the new bypass rad

Thank you. I see, so it's not really changing from a non bypass central heating system but rather to still bypass central heating, but swapping the bypass heater itself from hallway to room?

In this case, if I remove the TRV from the room's heater, do I need to add it to the heater in the hallway instead? and would the thermostat instead control the new bypass heater in the bedroom rather than the one in the hallway?

It's there to ensure that there is always enough flow water around the system to prevent damage to heat exchanger and pump.

Thank you :) So following what Shaun said, by 'exchanging' the bypass radiator from the hallway to the room that is actually freezing do I need to instead put the TRV in the hallway to monitor it, and would the thermostat in the hallway next to that radiator now control the new bypass radiator in the room? Cause if that is the case it is more than perfect! Cause I only need that room heated really.

If your happy you can just use that one manually eg open the valve if you ever want heat in that room etc

Reply to Bypass Radiator messing up the heating in the house? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
P
Hi, Later this year I am going away for a 2 week holiday and as the weather will be warm there is no need for the heating to be on and arguably no need for me to needlessly heat hot water. My intention was to turn the boiler off along with the mains water when going away. Now, I have heard...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to space for servicing and changing parts if ever needing to. I am finding my decision rather hard due to the different clearances on flue runs and cupboards...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock