Search the forum,

Discuss Bypass query - hot water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

I have an old fashioned vented system with two motorised valves. This is with a very old boiler (not condensing). I am confused about the set-up of hot water section.

The boiler flow is not forced through the hot water indirect tank coil - the flow can bypass it because the tank coil is connected across the same, continuous length of pipe after the pump, so there is an uninterrupted shunt across. I can't change this bypass since central heating has to flow through this pipe too, when on.

There is also an automatic bypass valve, but only after this assembly (not between the coil ends). If only hot water is running, all of the boiler flow is forced through this automatic valve - there is no other route. This only seems to make sense for the central heating to provide flow if the TRVs close - and this works correctly. But if hot water is on, the boiler flow is forced through it.

I understand that some bypass may be required since the boiler temperature return shouldn't get too cold - to stop condensation in the old cast iron boiler (not a condensing boiler). However, the boiler is cycling frequently and it takes a long time to heat the hot water cylinder.

Does this seem correct or should there be some boiler flow forced through the tank coil?

Last edited:
Photo
The flow is down the single vertical pipe on the right. The lowest gate valve has been replaced with an automatic bypass since this photo was taken. The upper two horizontals are for the tank coil. The lowest horizontal pipe on the floor is the return to the boiler.

The motor valve you can just about see at the floor is central heating and you can see its return next to it.

20171223_213620.jpg

Last edited:
I have an old fashioned vented system with two motorised valves. This is with a very old boiler (not condensing). I am confused about the set-up of hot water section.

The boiler flow is not forced through the hot water indirect tank coil - the flow can bypass it because the tank coil is connected across the same, continuous length of pipe after the pump, so there is an uninterrupted shunt across. I can't change this bypass since central heating has to flow through this pipe too, when on.

There is also an automatic bypass valve, but only after this assembly (not between the coil ends). If only hot water is running, all of the boiler flow is forced through this automatic valve - there is no other route. This only seems to make sense for the central heating to provide flow if the TRVs close - and this works correctly. But if hot water is on, the boiler flow is forced through it.

I understand that some bypass may be required since the boiler temperature return shouldn't get too cold - to stop condensation in the old cast iron boiler (not a condensing boiler). However, the boiler is cycling frequently and it takes a long time to heat the hot water cylinder.

Does this seem correct or should there be some boiler flow forced through the tank coil?
Does the system perform ?
Or did it ?
centralheatking

Reply to Bypass query - hot water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock