Discuss Bypass query - hot water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

I have an old fashioned vented system with two motorised valves. This is with a very old boiler (not condensing). I am confused about the set-up of hot water section.

The boiler flow is not forced through the hot water indirect tank coil - the flow can bypass it because the tank coil is connected across the same, continuous length of pipe after the pump, so there is an uninterrupted shunt across. I can't change this bypass since central heating has to flow through this pipe too, when on.

There is also an automatic bypass valve, but only after this assembly (not between the coil ends). If only hot water is running, all of the boiler flow is forced through this automatic valve - there is no other route. This only seems to make sense for the central heating to provide flow if the TRVs close - and this works correctly. But if hot water is on, the boiler flow is forced through it.

I understand that some bypass may be required since the boiler temperature return shouldn't get too cold - to stop condensation in the old cast iron boiler (not a condensing boiler). However, the boiler is cycling frequently and it takes a long time to heat the hot water cylinder.

Does this seem correct or should there be some boiler flow forced through the tank coil?

Last edited:
Photo
The flow is down the single vertical pipe on the right. The lowest gate valve has been replaced with an automatic bypass since this photo was taken. The upper two horizontals are for the tank coil. The lowest horizontal pipe on the floor is the return to the boiler.

The motor valve you can just about see at the floor is central heating and you can see its return next to it.

20171223_213620.jpg

Last edited:
I have an old fashioned vented system with two motorised valves. This is with a very old boiler (not condensing). I am confused about the set-up of hot water section.

The boiler flow is not forced through the hot water indirect tank coil - the flow can bypass it because the tank coil is connected across the same, continuous length of pipe after the pump, so there is an uninterrupted shunt across. I can't change this bypass since central heating has to flow through this pipe too, when on.

There is also an automatic bypass valve, but only after this assembly (not between the coil ends). If only hot water is running, all of the boiler flow is forced through this automatic valve - there is no other route. This only seems to make sense for the central heating to provide flow if the TRVs close - and this works correctly. But if hot water is on, the boiler flow is forced through it.

I understand that some bypass may be required since the boiler temperature return shouldn't get too cold - to stop condensation in the old cast iron boiler (not a condensing boiler). However, the boiler is cycling frequently and it takes a long time to heat the hot water cylinder.

Does this seem correct or should there be some boiler flow forced through the tank coil?
Does the system perform ?
Or did it ?
centralheatking

Reply to Bypass query - hot water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We have just moved in to a 12 year old house with a system comprising of a gas boiler with header tank and hot water cylinder also with header...
Replies
Views
Hi all , i came across a heatre mega flow today and couldn't get my head round something , it was heated via a boiler through the coil but the...
Replies
Views
Looking for any ideas to help. I've a Heatrae Sadia Hot Water tank, heated through Oil fired boiler (working fine). A week ago I reset the air...
Replies
Views
I have a heating system comprised of skirting radiators that form part of a loop from the boiler, round the house and back. Some rooms get...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock