Search the forum,

Discuss British Forums Now Online in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
[FONT=&quot]Me and @Lou thought we'd knock up a new forum yesterday so looked through some domain names we have, and rather than start something else business or automotive-related we thought we'd try something new so we went for more of a social theme with BritishForums.co.uk.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]So far we've sorted out the bulk of the forum categories, and have started to post a few threads. We've stuck a [DLMURL="http://www.britishforums.co.uk/directory/"]British business directory[/DLMURL] on there, and have a competition running where you can win a £25 amazon voucher (stole the idea from somewhere else
clear.png
clear.png
).[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Some of the categories we have include:-[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Loads of other categories, and there's a suggestion box too so you can suggest more if you can think of anything that could be particularly popular with others. We're aiming to get some people on board who can help build up some of the categories, and then perhaps become moderators of them. So if you're up for helping and would like to join in, just register and send me a PM on there with your ideas etc and I'll see what tools and things I can get setup to help you. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]This one's more of a hobby for me and Lou. It can get repetitive working with forums when they're mostly business-orientated and we have to keep our professional hats on. We fancied doing one that's a bit light and has more of a social feel for us. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]So this is it. :)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Hope you like it, and take time to register. :D[/FONT]

Last edited:
looks good Dan.

i took a scout on there yesterday, some good topics i will look forward to following.

now, about my 2 failing websites....what can you do for me with your expertise ? ;)

Much rather you sorted out this site first Dan, it`s going down the pan imho.

British Forums | for everything British

Starting to look really smart now. Checkout the category colours.

@rpm - We did a trial move to the new server (when it went offline) last week and it broke. So we're creating a workaround. We've so far managed to move all forums over except this one and electriciansforums.co.uk, which although it's on the new forum software, is actually broke quite badly. So both urgently need moving.

Part of me setting up a forum from scratch was to see how it performed, so we can replicate the structure of the database settings if all went well.

Problem is, our solid state disc (the hard drive) that we are on with this forum has broke. And each time we try to close the forums so it is only concentrating on copying files to either my local machines or the new server directly, it fails and crashes, and at the point it crashes, that set of files it was working on need erasing, recompiling, and copying again. It took us a few hours to get what we thought was a good copy. Loaded it on the new server, and it was. It was shot in various places. So we're kinda trying to create MySQL tables using a new forum, and then just port the content of the tables into them, rather than needing to bring the whole database over in one go.

So it wasn't wasted time per se. Although I did go a bit too far. I just find it fun working on 'em when they're running smooth lol I'm so used to these old things chugging along.

But yeah, we're working on it during quiet periods in the day and sometimes at night once we shut a forum down. It's just a maul.

@rpm - We did a trial move to the new server (when it went offline) last week and it broke. So we're creating a workaround. We've so far managed to move all forums over except this one and electriciansforums.co.uk, which although it's on the new forum software, is actually broke quite badly. So both urgently need moving.

Part of me setting up a forum from scratch was to see how it performed, so we can replicate the structure of the database settings if all went well.

Problem is, our solid state disc (the hard drive) that we are on with this forum has broke. And each time we try to close the forums so it is only concentrating on copying files to either my local machines or the new server directly, it fails and crashes, and at the point it crashes, that set of files it was working on need erasing, recompiling, and copying again. It took us a few hours to get what we thought was a good copy. Loaded it on the new server, and it was. It was shot in various places. So we're kinda trying to create MySQL tables using a new forum, and then just port the content of the tables into them, rather than needing to bring the whole database over in one go.

So it wasn't wasted time per se. Although I did go a bit too far. I just find it fun working on 'em when they're running smooth lol I'm so used to these old things chugging along.

But yeah, we're working on it during quiet periods in the day and sometimes at night once we shut a forum down. It's just a maul.

I understood everything right up to @rpm.......

I understood everything right up to @rpm.......

Much rather you sorted out this site first Dan, it`s going down the pan imho.

... I'm blaming BREXIT ( but hopefully Trump will be enough of a distraction )

(stats here looking better with 2x Productivity )

Last edited:
What`s with the @ before usernames that is becoming more popular on different forums?

Thanks for the update Dan however to know that you were on the case 7 days ago would of been better.

It's what the kids are doing these days @rpm. #megamod

I don`t give a flying fig what the kids are doing, what does it change for the better? And if you are a megamod then at least insert the correct quotation. :banghead:

Edit; Just to be clear I meant the trade forums not the type where you feel the need to tell the world what you had for breakfast, where, when and who with.

Last edited:
It's what the kids are doing these days @rpm. #megamod

I don`t give a flying fig what the kids are doing, what does it change for the better? And if you are a megamod then at least insert the correct quotation. :banghead:

I think we need to remember this a free forum that takes a great deal of time to constantly maintain. Theres bound to be the occasional glitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to British Forums Now Online in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

B
    • Friendly
Hi, I've followed this excellent forum for several years but have never posted, so decided I'd better give some details. My status is the upper end of DIY and I've a couple of house renovations under my belt (my own homes) I am retired but do volunteer handyman jobs for the elderly. Not...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi guys....we have an old Astracast sink top....I think its a composite sink....has a big single bowl. My wife thinks it looks scruffy....looks ok to me.....sound but the bowl has seen a lot of work. So she wants a new one...Astracast it seems are no more. The problem is its size.....looked...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi bit of a weird issue, I installed a grohe bathroom tap successfully 2 months ago bought from screwfix. Last week the right hand hot tap makes a squeak noise as I turn it on or off, left tap is 100% perfect and noiseless. This grohe tap is like one unit, so no screw notch or way I can remove...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock