Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler replacement process in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

scribbler

We're looking to replace our current boiler (Veissmann Vitodens 100 MK1) and have been given a quote.
Our current system already has the TRV radiator valves and a Magnaclean fitted.

I just want to check as there seems to be quite a bit of opinion on the fitment process and I want to see if this is correct (as it sounds ok to me but what do I know):

• Drain heating system and remove existing condensing boiler and associated pipe work and fittings
  • Supply and install heatmax 28he condensing boiler
  • Cold flush system through each radiator to clean out scale and sludge
  • Commission new heating system and register with gas safe
  • Treat system with sentinel inhibitor for future protection
  • Register with Baxi to start two year warranty
Should I be insisting on a powerflush in this case? I'm wondering if the magnaclean means that it's not a must...
This boiler also comes with only a 2 year warranty, I'm also not sure this is enough? We were with the BG homecare package and I guess we could do that again after 2 years but I think it's quote an outlay when spread over the year. Even if you do get a the free service.

We're waiting for two other quotes which I'm expecting to be a lot more than this.

One is based on the Vitodens MK2 (5 year warranty and 10 for the heat exchanger)
Other is for a Baxi Platinum (with a 2 year warranty)

I'm just wondering what people think?

Thanks for reading.
S

Is it BG who have given you a quote ? if so anyone can beat their price !. Re the baxi that has a 5 Year warranty, Power flush would have thought that system is pritty clean if you have had a Magna-clean fitted.

whats wrong with your current boiler ? cant be that old has it been damaged beyond repair ?

No quote was by one of the plumbers who had a look at it at the weekend. No chance I'd buy a boiler from BG!

Current system is done for, it was fitted about 6 years ago and I reckon not correctly flushed when fitted. The magnaclean was put in about 2 years ago.
We've been having problem with hot water recently and when BG took the main exchanger apart they found loads of bits of inside rads stuck within the mechanicals and both intake pipes.
It was marked beyond repair.

So the Baxi will have a 5 year warranty? I thought you only got 2 and then an additional 3 if the installer had been on a course?
The method he has suggested sounds ok then?

Thanks

Just depends on how bad your system is ?? If it's that bad it's destroyed your boiler then I would say yes it needs powerflushing, I don't do powerflushing but have seen mixed results by people who do attempt it. What I have done in the past is treat the system a couple of weeks before the boiler change with X400 then when the change is done removed all the radiators, flushed them outside with a power washer and replaced them, done the boiler change then re-treated with a good inhibitor.

If your radiator valves and lockshields are old (older than 10 years for example) I would also be looking to change them over at the same time as its easy with the system empty.

I do power flushing as standard but for a boiler change I charge depending on how bad the system is and how long it takes to clear any dross.

When I say bad it's probably not that bad, and I reckon the damage was there prior to the fitment of the magnaclean.
Boiler has been in 6 years, magnaclean for close to two years and it was checked last week and was pretty clean.

I've seen the intake pipe to the main heat exchanger and it was full of rusty bits of radiator and BG reckons it's all inside the machinery of the exchanger too (hence the required replacement.)

Just had my 2nd quote, £1850 for a Vitodens 100 30kw and an extra £250 for a powerflush on top of that!
I can grab this boiler for just under a grand online and it's just a straight swap. I assume we're only talking 1 days labour, is that really £800 worth?
The radiator valves have been on the same length as the boiler so 6 years.

Incidentally the Potterton Heatmax HE quote was just over a grand so £800 difference.
I'd prefer the Viessmann as I think it's a better brand but possibly not for that price difference i.e double!

Edit: goz666, your suggestion sounds very similar to the first quote I got. The one I got today doesn't even go into great detail about the work involved.

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem with getting the boiler yourself is getting a Gas Safe engineer to register it.... are you fitting it yourself or getting a GS fitter in?? also i tend to do a couple of hot flush throughs..
I tend to allow 2 days for a Boiler change...with the flushing (not powerflush) & testing//

Last edited:
Before you get the boiler, run it past your fitter. Some fitters, myself included, are happy to fit a boiler supplied by the customer so long as the make and type has been agreed beforehand and its new, wrapped and from a reputable source. It means that the fitter does not have to fork out money for the boiler.

we completed an open vented system to combi changeover today plus new valves, took us around 9 hours but we were held up by contract managers consultants etc as it was the first job, they can be done in a day but your forgetting the price of the pipe, fittings, labour and the cost of running a business

I find it hard to belive that someone would charge just over a grand for a boiler swap including the boiler and all fittings?? Short cuts somewhere??

we completed an open vented system to combi changeover today plus new valves, took us around 9 hours but we were held up by contract managers consultants etc as it was the first job, they can be done in a day but your forgetting the price of the pipe, fittings, labour and the cost of running a business

How many guys did you have ?....you plus 1 ? if so thats 2 days labour which is what i normally allow

Not sure about shortcuts but he's given a complete breakdown of the parts to be used and method he would be using?

So a Baxi Heatmax HE 28 (pack) looks to be around £700
He's got to get the flush and the inhibitor and some other sundries. I'd still say £200 odd for a days labour is pretty good?

Anyway getting back to business, to the plumbers out there what sounds better:

Baxi Heatmax HE 28 with a 2 year warranty then say 3 years of BG (homecare) which racks up at about £2000
or
Worcester CDI 30 with a 5 year warranty (plumb nation doing it for about £1200) and then fitment on top, should still come in at less than 2k.

The only difference being with the latter we'd have to fork out each year for a service from a recognised engineer to keep the warranty..

Personally i'd stick to the Viessmann... does the price of the Worcester include the flue ?

Not sure about shortcuts but he's given a complete breakdown of the parts to be used and method he would be using?

He's got to get the flush and the inhibitor and some other sundries. I'd still say £200 odd for a days labour is pretty good?

Baxi Heatmax HE 28 with a 2 year warranty then say 3 years of BG (homecare) which racks up at about £2000
or
Worcester CDI 30 with a 5 year warranty (plumb nation doing it for about £1200) and then fitment on top, should still come in at less than 2k.

The only difference being with the latter we'd have to fork out each year for a service from a recognised engineer to keep the warranty..
a days labour by a qualified individual,whom you need to get what you want legally,£200 is nothing,this mans earning priceless

Last edited:

or

why ? for a qualified person ?

Personally i'd stick to the Viessmann... does the price of the Worcester include the flue ?

Sample:
Worcester Greenstar 30CDI Combi Boiler, Flue & MT10 Clock Pack = £1137

desrob: Not having a go at the guy, I think it's a cracking price. He's come recommended.

So your getting a boiler change for under £1500 all in with a ticket & the fitters happy.....snap his hands off mate..cheap job...

that sounds like the price of the boiler only lol is he fitting it for free ?? or has he robbed it from the back of a lorry lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Boiler replacement process in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock