Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler advice - could it be condemned?! in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello! I have a few questions regarding a boiler in my father-in-laws place that I'm very worried about and would like advice.

My father-in-law is a chronic "tinkerer" and will fiddle and mess with things that didn't need tinkering with. He's recently told us that in the past he has moved pipes and generally done some weird "upgrades" to the boiler. I don't have information on what exactly he's done, but from a quick peak at the boiler and the things surrounding it - he's definitely cut corners and the pipe work is messy and makes no sense. He has NO qualifications for plumbing/gas.

So - my questions are:
  • If he has been touching this boiler and fiddling about with it with no qualifications, and nobody then signing off either, has he essentially voided the warranty on the boiler? It was a fairly new Worcester - possibly installed 5 years ago. Would this also mean his house insurance is void because he's messing with the gas?
  • I want to get a plumber in to look over everything, but I'm now concerned the boiler could be condemned if he's touched it too much?!
  • We were planning on building a granny annexe within the rear of the property which we'd live in to help him (he's a hoarder and just a general hermit who needs help now) - the annexe would be within the house, nothing built externally. He mentioned that you can split one boiler to service two households individually - so if he turned his heating on, ours wouldn't come on and vice versa. Is that a thing?

Any help would be great as we need a good list of reasons to give to him to stop him touching the boiler - it's driving me insane!

1. If he has only messed about with the water pipes it should be recoverable without much difficulty.
2. If he has messed with the gas pipe, it needs to be checked and corrected (if necessary) by a Gas Safe registered person.
3. Provided he has not done anything inside the cover of the boiler, there are no obvious reasons why it should be "condemned".
4. Presumably he has never had is serviced. If he hasn't then any warranty is void anyway.
5. Splitting central heating into different zones has little to do with the boiler and is accomplished outside it. Should not be an issue.

the reply is yes to the first and yes to the second, you need to get some one in gsr to check the boiler,
fitting a stat in the other part of the house (granny flat) will be easy to sort so he cannot mess.
hope that helps.

With regards to the warranty, it would depend on the engineer and what they find, gas safe registered engineer’s have what’s called an unsafe situations procedure, which some will follow to the letter of the law. If he’s caused any damage to the boiler, unless it’s beyond economical repair, I see no reason to condemn it, however if whoever comes out on the day can not repair it, they are duty bound to make safe.

If you're dealing with a vulnerable person who's at risk because of a faulty boiler, I believe (from second hand info) that Worcester Bosch have a rapid response support team that can get repairs and installations done much faster than normal.

Of course, if you're dealing with 'awkward' rather than 'vulnerable' perhaps being without heating for a few days would make your point for you.

Reply to Boiler advice - could it be condemned?! in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Article
A Plumber Who Worked Illegally Gets A Suspended Sentence After Falsely Claiming To Be Gas Safe Registered. A Plumber in Herefordshire was prosecuted after Hereford Trading Standards Team found that he was falsely claiming to be on the Gas Safe Register when he was not, putting members of the...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock