Discuss Blocked Feed Pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

wet

Hello There _ I am a new member and hope you can help. I have a gravity fed central heating system with the feed tank in the loft of a 2 storey house and floor standing boiler is on the ground floor. Is it acceptable to blank off the blocked feed pipe in the loft and redirect the feed pipe into the vent pipe in the loft rather than replace the whole of the feed pipe from the loft to near the boiler on the ground floor. If so why is this not normally done when fitting a new system. Forever WET

No , what happens when the vent pipe becomes blocked ......

some manufacturers do ok it , but on a old boiler / system, I wouldn't

Hello There _ I am a new member and hope you can help. I have a gravity fed central heating system with the feed tank in the loft of a 2 storey house and floor standing boiler is on the ground floor. Is it acceptable to blank off the blocked feed pipe in the loft and redirect the feed pipe into the vent pipe in the loft rather than replace the whole of the feed pipe from the loft to near the boiler on the ground floor. If so why is this not normally done when fitting a new system. Forever WET
Thank you townfanjon

Normally blocks where it enters the system so it's worth finding where this is & cutting it out & replace. Post up a pic & we may be able to help more

I normally try to clear the blockage by connecting the system up to mains water and try to push it out back up to the F&E tank, be sure to cap the vent whilst doing this if that does not work why not convert the system over to a sealed system if manufacturers allow it? Appropriate size expansion vessel with PRV and filling loop, Job done :D

Thats what I would do, good luck, let us know how it goes

Try to clear the blockage before cutting into any pipework. If you have an expansion vessel pump (or car pump with long hose) use this to clear the blockage. Remove Schrader connection at end of pump hose and insert the hose into the cold feed connection on expansion cistern or tank in loft (use a rag/wrap or similar to prevent back pressure of air into cistern). Pump down the cold feed and watch as the debris and blockages spurt out of the vent. This is a very successful method, but not 100% for stubborn blockages - but if it works it saves a lot of hassle. Gently tapping the pipework where the cold feed enters the system can also help dislodge the blockage while pumping. Note: combined cold feed and vents are only allowed where manufacturers specify and generally on boilers with over heat thermostats in addition to a primary thermostat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Blocked Feed Pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock