Search the forum,

Discuss Bit of a strange visit from Gas safe.... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Ryster

Hi chaps.

Not posted for a while but I'd thought I'd ask the advice of some I dependant knowledgable guys so came on here :tounge_smile:

A guy that works at the company I work for had his first visit from Gas safe today. Everything was going really well until the end, when the guy, without mentioning any of this during the assessment pulled out two points which he said "could potentially cost him his certification".

Now the first one was continuity bonding whilst taking a meter off, he placed the bonding on the inlet ecv and then on the outlet pipework. Then after he had replaced the meter he removed the bonding from the outlet pipework then the ecv.

The second issue was on his initial drop test, he connected his manometer tubing to the test nipple, and let the pipework pressure down to 9mb, releasing the gas through the tubing.

Now, rather than say anything whilst this was happening he's pulled him at the end and said those two things were done wrong and a report would be submitted.

Personally, I've never had an issue with assessments, however I'm curious to know what will happen to the guy because of this. He's geuinely bricking it now but I'm really confused as to what's going to happen and why he's even really pulled these rather than mentioning it there and then?

did he tell you why he thought they/he did them wrong?

as tbh i dont see nothing that bad (wanting reporting et)

did he tell you why he thought they/he did them wrong?

as tbh i dont see nothing that bad (wanting reporting et)

He gave those two reasons I mentioned as the reason he was going to report him.

He said the continuity bonding was put on incorrectly and he shouldn't have been releasing gas through the tube to take the pressure down for a drop test.

The second one really has me confused though, as I've been Qualified for near on 10 years now and in the training center and on site, National Grid, anyone I've seen doing a drop test drops the pressure through the tube to take it down to 10mb.

I'm really confused for the lad to be honest, and nobody I know can really understand what the issue is.

Last edited by a moderator:
regarding the drop test thats bs, anton even make a thumb screw thingy to save you pulling the tube off google PRV Anton pressure relief valve

wtf is that guy on?

how else would the pressure be dropped it looses more when you take the tube off to replace the nipple!
i would of pulled the gs guy there and then and asked him to justify his findings and attitude.

wtf is that guy on?

how else would the pressure be dropped it looses more when you take the tube off to replace the nipple!
i would of pulled the gs guy there and then and asked him to justify his findings and attitude.

Unfortunately it was the lads first assessment so he was probably unsure in his own work with the supposed main man telling him he's wrong.

Our gaffer has caught wind of it and is fuming, he's ringing them tomorrow to find out what the problem is.

I just hope he hasn't got the continuity the wrong way round, he said that he told the guy "inlet first" and then clamped onto the outlet, and he's taken the outlet off first and finally the inlet, he says he went on the "last on first off" way.

Hope he's not got that wrong, but even so is that worthy of a report?

Unfortunately it was the lads first assessment so he was probably unsure in his own work with the supposed main man telling him he's wrong.

Our gaffer has caught wind of it and is fuming, he's ringing them tomorrow to find out what the problem is.

I just hope he hasn't got the continuity the wrong way round, he said that he told the guy "inlet first" and then clamped onto the outlet, and he's taken the outlet off first and finally the inlet, he says he went on the "last on first off" way.

Hope he's not got that wrong, but even so is that worthy of a report?

tbh it doesnt really matter as its earthed before hand (via bonding ) once meter is off its earth via fly lead, then meters back on and being earthed (via bonding)

but dont forget the meter bracket is metal so unless your changing the anaconda or meter union its earthed anyway

He says he did, and I imagine he did as he went to get rocol spray before the guy came instead of using the parts center gear :crazy:

washing up liquid will do :D

GS guy sounds a proper muppet, i would have to dust off my tcbs before an inspection, what does it matter how you drop the gas pressure? the gas has gotta come out some way. Thats a controlled escape of gas through the tube

tbh it doesnt really matter as its earthed before hand (via bonding ) once meter is off its earth via fly lead, then meters back on and being earthed (via bonding)

but dont forget the meter bracket is metal so unless your changing the anaconda or meter union its earthed anyway

Well its this that Ive quizzed him on. He had to remove the meter to replace some pipework, so hes put on his temp bonding in the order ive said and placed the meter outside.

The guy even had the cheek to compliment him on purging through a cooker :59:

Hopefully we can find out more tomorrow, I jusg think its terrible that some guy has someone worried for nothing really. I thought the days of the assesors being tools had gone....

The inspector sounds like a right power crazed jobsworth. sounds like he's trying to justify his wage.

Well its this that Ive quizzed him on. He had to remove the meter to replace some pipework, so hes put on his temp bonding in the order ive said and placed the meter outside.

The guy even had the cheek to compliment him on purging through a cooker :59:

Hopefully we can find out more tomorrow, I jusg think its terrible that some guy has someone worried for nothing really. I thought the days of the assesors being tools had gone....

tell the lad not to worrie if thats all hes been picked up on hes fine, and will get sorted

Cheers lads. Just spoken with him and told him not to worry.
I will let you know what happens tomorrow.

so the lad has passed his exams and the inspector says he doesnt know enough, they are supposed to be there to check your safe no more no less not make you do another set of exams, pratt

So an update.

Our boss spoke with the assessor this morning, the assessor ISNT reporting the lad for anything. It would appear that he almost nearly forgot to LDF the test nipple, but before being prompted he checked it.

With regards the temporary bonding the lad has clipped his temp cable onto the actual ecv. The assessor said that if he had been removing the ECV this WOULD have been an issue but as he wasn't there wasn't a problem.

Can someone just confirm that placing the temp
bond clip onto the ECV isn't an issue when working on pipework? As stated yesterday it's in between the ECV entry and the outlet, so there shouldn't be any issue there should there?

Anyway, apart from that the assessor said he was more than happy with what the lad done, and was a little bemused as to why the lad thought he was being reported when the assessor was only giving examples of issues that could arise.

To me it seems like maybe the asessor has said something and the lad has either misinterpreted it? Either way he's a happy bunny this morning.

I'm guessing he got a bit stressed yesterday. I still suspect the guy assessing him was maybe a bit more arsey than he was on the phone this morning to our boss, but either way it would appear it's all ok.

All's well that ends well, put it behind him now

Saw the lad today and he was quite downbeat about it, might have hit his confidence a bit but our boss said the same thing. It's all done, nothing happened and he wasn't doing anything incorrect.

Cheers for the replies chaps, appreciated.

But you can't remove the Ecv unless you are national grid so surely that's ********.

Didn't know about probation. Company I work for have been registered a long time so would explain not having one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Bit of a strange visit from Gas safe.... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock