Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Baxi Solo 2 40 RS Replace thermocouple - GSR job? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

vido.ardes

I just wanted some advice on whether the job I need to do has to be done by someone who is GSR. I have a Baxi Solo 2 40 RS and the pilot won't stay lit, 99% sure it is the thermocouple, I have bought a new one and it seems extremely simple to replace. Is it a job that I need paperwork to prove someone GSR did it? Am I gonna have trouble next time I want a service and I can't prove it was done by a GSR? It seems like such a simple job I am reluctant to pay someone £50 to do it, but if thems the rules then that's what I'll have to do.

Welcome to the forum vido.ardes :)

Is this your own home?

Legally only competent people are allowed to work on gas appliances. The way someone is recognised as 'competent' is that they have been trained and are registered with gas safe. What you do in your own home is entirely up to you. However should something go wrong then would you be able to live with yourself? Why not have your appliance serviced by someone GSR. I'm sure they'd replace the t/c as part of the service and charge you additional for the part only, should that be at fault. The T/C is a safety device, if it's tripping out there may well be a reason other than it failing IMHO :)

Thanks, I was assuming that would be the case. It is my own home, we have only recently moved in, but I want to spend as little as possible on it because I am currently fielding quotes to have it replaced as it looks about 20 years old! Trouble is I haven't got £2k spare so replacing it right this second isn't really an option. I will get it serviced and see if they will do it during the service, like I say I have already got hold of a replacement t/c from plumbase.

Thanks for your advice, will probably be coming back to get advice on what to replace it with! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Baxi Solo 2 40 RS Replace thermocouple - GSR job? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

C
Hi all I have an old Baxi solo 2 40 boiler. the other night that there was a metal sounding twang and the pilot light went out now the boiler will...
Replies
Views
Hello. I hope someone here has the expertise to help. I know exactly what situation it took awhile. On the loft on the 6th floor there is a...
Replies
Views
Good day, Can someone please advise me if it is possible to replace old terracotta waste pipes for PVC in a section only? My sewage line goes...
Replies
Views
We have just moved in to a 1934 Semi- and I am getting round a few simple DIY tasks, including a couple of plumbing-part renewals such as modern...
Replies
Views
Hi All, My first visit here in quite a while and it's in part to share the news that I have finally gone over to the dark side! Although my 30...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock