Discuss Banging noise coming from the thermostats in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BredburyBlues

I've turned my central heating system on this week, yes i know its too early in the year and man points must be deducted. All the rads work fine and all is quiet….for a while, then a knocking starts to come from one of the rads. It generally happens once i've used the hot taps in either the kitchen or bathroom for the first time after the timers come on.

The noise appears to be located at the thermostats. If I adjust the thermostat slightly it can stop the noise but this will generally result in the noise moving to another rad meaning 1) I end up chasing the noise around the house and 2) the original rad might stop working until i put it back to the setting it was originally at. The noise does stop it I run the hot tap which makes me think theres air in the system but shouldn't it escape out of the taps if that was the case?

I turned off the system, all the rads and left them to cool down. I turned the system back on then the rads one by one starting with the nearest to the boiler. Everything was ok for about 30 mins until it started again.

This was a problem towards the end of the last central heating season so I've thought about replacing all the older thermostats as out of the 5 rads in the house the only one that didn't appear to be effected was the one that was installed a couple of years back (newer thermostat) but last night it turned out that one was playing up as well so i'm at a bit of a loss now.

Where should i go from here, all help is much appreciated.

N

Last edited by a moderator:
What system do you have? Is it a combination or conventional boiler?

Check the thermostatic valves are on the flow.

From cold, switch heating on and walk around the house feeling which valve gets hot first on each rad. That's the flow. Mark it with a pencil so you remember it.
Some TRV's are bi flow / bi directional valves. Some are not. This is normally indicated by an arrow on the valve body.

It is true to say that even though most modern valves are bi flow, they can still be happier on the flow side, depending on your system and it's flow rates and pressures.

If they're on the return end it may be better to swap them to the other end if they're fairly new but for the cost of the valves, I would suggest replacing them. I would still make sure they're on the flow.

You may need a heating engineer to do this for you.

As regards man points, yes you have lost a few but I did glance at the stove the other night and considered putting a match to it.

I resisted.

Man points intact !

It's the rad valves, as the thermostats start to kick in they will bang if the water is flowing wrong direction. Hot water takes priority on a combi boiler which is why it stops when you run the hot tap. Is it a newish boiler? Either flow and return pipework were reversed when boiler was fitted or the valves need changing. As a temp fix set the valves to max or take the heads off

Thanks for all the help, I'll check the flow direction and go from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Banging noise coming from the thermostats in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new...
Replies
Views
B
    • Friendly
Hi, I've followed this excellent forum for several years but have never posted, so decided I'd better give some details. My status is the upper...
Replies
Views
Back