Discuss Are Some Fluxes Easier To Use Than Others? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
After some advice about flux, and also to see which fluxes others are using. Are some fluxes easier to use than others? Do some give you more time to make the joint before evaporating? Laco and Powerflux seem to run down the pipe very soon after applying heat.

Also, what are the different types of flux - some seem to be water soluble (Laco) and other grease based (Yorks. traditional)? What are the advantages of each?

The main fluxes seem to be Laco, Powerlux and Everflux. Less common ones are Yorkshire Traditonal and Fernox Fluxite and a real rarity is Templars Telux.

Pegler Yorkshire -

Fluxite

Templars Templars Telux Flux - Templars from JTM Plumbing Limited UK

Personally i use fry powerflow flux as thats what i was taught with and what ive always used, i find Laco to be very corrosive and if you've missed abit the whole pipe ends up green

Laco as its what I used as an apprentice and have had no reason to change, I've found everflux is the most corrosive personally.

Last edited:
I hate Everflux because it is very corrosive. I have seen the solder "dry" on joints done with it.
Only Yorkshire or Fluxite traditional grease based fluxes for me, although I do have a tub of Laco to try.
Grease based fluxes flow well and allow the solder to do same if also applied as you solder

Powerflow is the best especially on the larger pipe diameters, in fact it is so good that sometimes you don't even need to solider it cos it sticks the pipe & fitting together!
I love it, no more joints moving just as you are about to apply the solder, having to prop up your pipe before you heat it up are a thing of the past when using this baby.
Just hope to hell you have it in the right position when you push the two together.:ack2:

Last edited:
fallen in love with nokorode flux, doesnt cause parts to jam and stick, best of all does the job without burner your fingers and leaving green gunk everywhere

I don't understand all the claims of green on finished joints, don't you guys wipe yours down with a wet cloth while still hot ?

I hate Everflux because it is very corrosive. I have seen the solder "dry" on joints done with it.
Only Yorkshire or Fluxite traditional grease based fluxes for me, although I do have a tub of Laco to try.
Grease based fluxes flow well and allow the solder to do same if also applied as you solder

Thanks for your reply. In your last paragraph, do you mean that with Yorks or Fluxrite, you need to apply extra flux to the outside of the fitting where it meets the pipe to work properly? Or does it work well just by only fluxing pipe end and inside fitting before assembling them?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Are Some Fluxes Easier To Use Than Others? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock