Search the forum,

Discuss AGA pilot light in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nickykeogh

My AGA pilot light went out and I could not get it to stay lit when I re-ignited it. So I changed the thermocouple - really easy - took the old one out and took it to my local heating parts supplier and he sold me an equivalent one for £5. I had to carefully hacksaw off the fixing screw on the gas valve end and use the old one which is slotted as the thermocouple would not pass through the hole in the plate between the burner and the gas valve.

The pilot light still would not stay lit, so I short-circuited the electrodes from the flue safety sensor with a piece of wire and that did the trick - I need a new flue safety sensor - quite a job to fit but cheaper than an AGA engineer visit which costs a cool £260 plus VAT in my area.

I hope this helps

no it does not really help,you could have a knackered sensor but you could also have a genuine flue fault how you going prove the flues not at fault?

just as a note for future refernece, you dont have to call aga, you can get a local gsr to do the work

you really need more investigation thou

I hope you've removed the piece of wire and not left it in place. Safety devices on a gas appliance must not be left bridged out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to AGA pilot light in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a portable gas fire which keeps switching off. The pilot light lifts for 10 seconds, critically above the thermocouple and then the gas cuts out. It i smore noticeable when I walk past it and stir a slight breeze. I have blown out the pilot light assembly and it worked for an entire day...
Replies
Views
I have an old Modena 80 E combi boiler that is randomly short cycling on windy days. The burner goes out and re-ignites within a few seconds and continues to burn for between five and forty seconds before stopping again. Under normal conditions the boiler works fine but as soon as it gusts over...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, My customer has a gas fire (Gazco Logic HE fire, about 10 years old). It's a slide control fire. The fire has become difficult to light. One has to push a lot more firmly down on the control slide to get it to light. At which point, all is fine. The pilot is good, new battery...
Replies
Views
C
I have a old glowworn hideaway boiler which has been working perfectly until a few days ago, had a engineer come out and change the thermocouple and it now ignites and stays lit.. that is until the central heating is turned on, stays on for around 10 mins and then completely cuts off. Reset...
Replies
Views
I have a 40 year old Glowworm Hideaway 100. I have lived in this house for 8 years and it has been faultless, until recently. The pilot light won't stay on. The boiler has been worked on by a Gas Engineer, but he is stumped and telling me I need a new boiler. I can not afford a new boiler...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock