Discuss advise on best boiler pls in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

artie guber

following a visit a few weeks ago from a plumber on a heating matter it was recommended that at some point in the near future i should get my baxi bermuda back boiler replaced with a modern combi boiler

because i believe in being 'in the know' on such matters, before i proceed to get a plumber in (in due course) i would like to know what boiler type to go for and what to avoid. I am in a bungalow, with just me the occupant, with 7 radiators scattered around.

Lets assume i am not on a budget - nor am i a great believer of saving the planet. I want a really good quality boiler with well made parts that are not likely to fail one day after the year's guarantee. I am not looking for cheap and cheerful. I would rather have reliability over efficiency any day. I really do not mind spending more money so long as it is quality. I hear condensing boilers are more trouble than they are worth. I am also aware that Baxi have a combi model that replaces their own old back boiler (but are not popular with plaumbers due to the awkwardness of installation)

So what do you guys recommend (what would you install in your own house if fitting a boiler from scratch, or replacing one in a close relative's house). What are the good brands to buy, and what are the ones to avoid like the plague. I see alot of new build wimpey/bovis etc homes in my work and many of the people living there have mentioned boilers going wrong within a couple of years or so of buying the place (i am a locksmith by trade).

hope you can take a few moments to advise and then when i call local guy at least i can pretty much say what i want (or more importantly dont). There are probably a load of questions you need to ask me before advising, as i guess it probably isnt as simple as just saying buy brand X and not brand Y. Fingers crossed though

Last edited by a moderator:
Fraid it will have to be condensing, cant be anything else wether it be open vent or combi..Just hang on a bit and loads of folk on here will give pros and cons of boilers they fit..

In my own house I would fit a Intergas, I would also recommend a worcester.

vaillant (now the common probs have been addressed although controls not easy), worcester (reliable but mostly plastic components), ive heard rave reviews about intergas but never seen one fit as yet..Also the new version of the viessman vitodens is supposed to bo good..........Dont go with baxi they had there day with the good bbu's.

Ask 10 fitters and you'll get at least 8 different answers.

The quality of the installation is just as important as the choice of boiler.

At the moment I'm fitting ideal logics, because in my eyes, they're the best value for money considering the quality.

In my own house I would fit a Intergas, I would also recommend a worcester.

blimey - loads of options

thanks guys

pos/neg results so far:-

intergas 2 pos
worcester 2 pos - 1 neg
vallinat 1 pos
viessman 1 pos
ideal logics 1 pos
baxi 1 neg

only 4 moving parts in the intergas - loving it already!!!

keep them coming

are there any absolute dogs to avoid?

Ideal logics+ are decent for the money, 5 yr warranty.

also nice looking boilers and very user friendly.

If you fit a Ferroli I have ways of finding you so we can come and demolish your house..........

basically if you've never heard of the name theres usually a reason. i agree with tb if its intergas id stick it in the garage or an airing cupboard..also just gotta say all boilers at some point will need parts etc just like a car ,there the heart of your house and for some reason a lot of folk dont mind maintaining there car but get funny if there boiler plays up. what im trying to say is more money better boiler but it might still play up. good luck deciding,:wink:

ooh - intergas now has 4 plusses

and i reckon any boiler will be in my old airing/hot water cylinder cupboard so not in view particularly

The real benefit of the intergas is the lack of a diverter valve for me.

Also, no built in exp vessel, so you can site a robokit anywhere you like.

Worcester Bosch 29cdi, use a WB accredited installer and you can get 8 years guarantee.

thanks guys

pos/neg results so far:-

intergas 5 pos
worcester 3 pos - 1 neg
ideal logics 2 pos
vallinat 1 pos
viessman 1 pos
baxi 1 neg

dogs to avoid:-
ferroli
heatline
biasi
ravenheat

The TP house would totally go with that list. I would put give another + to all those on your plus list.
We most often install WB and that is obably what we would put in our own home.

Currently we have a Remeha - they are good too.

As I am not a heating engineer - like you. I would look at beyond the actual install.
A good guarantee is good - you know you just need to pay for a boiler service every year and if there are any problems there will be free parts and labour.

How easy will it be to get parts and repairs done in say 10 years time?
If you buy baxi (baxi group) or WB or Vaillant I know you will have no problems - they all have excellent teams of engineers directly employed with good fast response. Also independent heating engineers will be familiar with and have trained on these makes.

I only fit Vaillant and find that the newer ones are very reliable and pretty easy to work on when something does go wrong. Also, you can get 7 years warranty with them now if installed correctly.

I would say you would be better looking for a good installation company over worrying about what brand. A lot of companys offer breakdown covers which is what you want to be looking at!

I only fit Vaillant and find that the newer ones are very reliable and pretty easy to work on when something does go wrong. Also, you can get 7 years warranty with them now if installed correctly.

I would say you would be better looking for a good installation company over worrying about what brand. A lot of companys offer breakdown covers which is what you want to be looking at!

And during those 7 years, they'll harass you with offers of overpriced servicing. At the end of that 7 years, they'll write to you again, telling you your boiler is now an antique and try to sell you another, again, at an overpriced rate through Helplink, an utterly terrible company.

I used to be a Vaillant man, but their current sales technique, as well as their new user UNfriendly interface has driven me away.

Having just replaced nearly £200 worth of parts on a 3 year old Vaillant I'm not a huge fan.

I had pressure problems with a vaillant. Just as i was losing the will to live they suddenly produced a conversion kit that moved the pressure sensor from the flow to the return.

Useless hateful wallhung whitegoods metrosexual crap!

Give me a cast iron sectional 450kw boiler any day of the week!

I fit Worcesters as my premium boiler, Ideal Logic+ for those on a tight budget.

If you decide to go down the Worcester route, I'd recommend the CDI classic. Bit bigger than the SI, but is much better quality and performs a lot better too.

Tbh vaillant have ironed out all the probs and the new ones are very very reliable (controls are crap though) and mostly brass components as opposed to worcester, will agree with tb on the hard sell they are becoming infamouse for..

I had pressure problems with a vaillant. Just as i was losing the will to live they suddenly produced a conversion kit that moved the pressure sensor from the flow to the return.

Useless hateful wallhung whitegoods metrosexual crap!

Give me a cast iron sectional 450kw boiler any day of the week!

The f75 kits.

we've bullied our pts to keep them in stock now.....

intergas for the last 2 years is all ive used, binned remeha avantas after they leaked a few times, wb binned when one failed after a day in use due to plastic pressre gauge pipe leaking everywhere, used to be copper!. ferrollis cheap end, baxis pottertons and mains still got diverter valves and phex to block and fail and vailants used to explode the car hosepipes to often changednow but too much hassle in the past. re guarentees, doesnt matter on length of guarentee but whether the manufacturers will cover it in the long term, small print always gives a way out.

I'd fit a logic + lovely boilers in my opinion. I would avoid remeha and glowworm but that's just me.

so many opinions

cheers all

so prob looking at worcester/valliant/intergas when it comes to it - plus a good look at installer's terms/conditions/warranties etc

at least i also have an idea of the cheap crappy end of the range.

so many opinions

cheers all

so prob looking at worcester/valliant/intergas when it comes to it - plus a good look at installer's terms/conditions/warranties etc

at least i also have an idea of the cheap crappy end of the range.

I would also say Viessmann are up there but can be expensive to buy. How big a system are you looking at installing? Are you after just a sealed combi system or do you want to have a cylinder? How many radiators?

I would go for Worcester, good boiler and the best back up service of any manufacturer.

so there we are, a whole bunch of us are likely to be getting Worcester next time.

I would also say Viessmann are up there but can be expensive to buy. How big a system are you looking at installing? Are you after just a sealed combi system or do you want to have a cylinder? How many radiators?

The 100's have serious issues with the heat exchanger diesgn now. The 200's and 300's are class bits of kit.

Intergas all the way, far, far superior to all the other tat, ie, wb vaillant viessmann baxi et cetera :)

You will not go wrong with:

Vailiant
Intergas
ATAG
Viessmann

But like has been said, the install is everything.

Unless worcester buck their idea up regarding material selection and boiler layout I won't be fitting one again either.

Unless worcester buck their idea up regarding material selection and boiler layout I won't be fitting one again either.

Hi roger I install Worcester and am happy with them as a company I assume your quote regarding material selection is the use of plastic .i am interested in what you mean regarding boiler lay out cheers Lee

Hi roger I install Worcester and am happy with them as a company I assume your quote regarding material selection is the use of plastic .i am interested in what you mean regarding boiler lay out cheers Lee

eeeee install a couple of intergas and then go back to w.b

its like having that nice chilled out girlfriend whos happy with whatever

and then going back to that needy neurotic ex that screams for attention and doesn't want you to do anything easily!

Yo're right about the plastic, never happy with it long term, I know it is cheaper to make, and moulding into complex shapes is easier. But give me brass any day for a boiler, doesn't go brittle over time, and more intrinsic strength.

Regarding the layout, have you tried servicing the worcesters, or replacing any parts, right pain, and unnecessarily so.

Im WB accredited, and as far as Im concerned they are fine, providing the installation is correct, since the condensing boilers were more commonly used since 2005 our fist breakdown was a non ,amufacture fault and it was 6 years old, there was a glitch for a short while with the plastic manifolds, that was cured, other than that one, breakdowns for us are exceeding 6 years, and I dont think that is bad at all, and if it does break down, ring early and WB will be out same day, if not next day, same with parts... WB boilers are like having an old transit with a perkins engine.... you cant beat it for reliability and availability.

Is the CDI better/worse than the SI range?

CDi's are better in that you can get to clean the main HEX and electrodes more easily (or at all if RH flueing is used!) not seen a cdi compact so can't comment on them yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to advise on best boiler pls in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock