Discuss Advice on pumping hot water for 1 bed flat in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

mutley racers

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Hey guys, i am wondering if there is a pump that will pump the hot water in a 1 bed flat. I went to see the job, and they have a cylinder with a cold water storage tank 1 metre above it. This tank feeds the hot tank and cold side.

What i am wanting to do though, disconnect the cold distribution and feed all cold outlets with the mains and hopefully pump the hot outlets.

Is this possible?

The shower head will be the same height as the bottom of the storage tank, would this work, as its just a bath tap with a hose off the top?

Also, the client wants all the outlets to be balanced in pressure. How would i go about this?

All help is much appreciated.

P.S I would also like some ideas of where i can get the equipment for this.

Thanks folks

Regards

Mutley

I am wondering if i have asked a silly question here? As i do not have any replies. This is a first for me.

Are you allowed to do what i am asking? I know i shall have to put double check valves on all mains supplies as am sure they will be mixer taps.

Any advice from someone? Please?

he he

Are you considering putting a cold water main direct to the cylinder??? Or did I read post wronge, although I read it 2 times???

No, i am not putting a cold main direct to the cylinder. Sorry, if it sounds like this. Basically, what I am thinking of, is to get rid of the cold supply from cwsc and just connect mains into this pipe, so that now all bathroom feeds are from the mains supply, and not cwsc. So toilet, basin, bath and shower will be mains fed. And as the pressure there in the flat is 2 bar, 1 and a half when another tap is opened. Could i put a 1 and a half bar single impeller on the hot pipe work from the cylinder?

Is it possible to do this?

Remove old system and fit an uvhws. You may not be qualifed for this so you will need to get someone in. If they are installed incorrectly they can be very dangerous. It will balance all supply's. But you will need to check incoming flow rates on mcw

Hi simon johns, i have all ready checked the flow rates and incoming pressure. It is not enough, 12litres of flow, and 2 bar pressure. 1 and a half when another tap is turned on. And this was not even on peak periods.

Thanks for advice though. Also, can you get electric unvented cylinders? Or do you need an electric boiler for it? I honestly cannot remember from my unvented course

They are called direct cylinders

The only other option you got us to pump both of the services. This will put alot of strain on the pump thou.
But I think it can be done

you can get whole house pumps to do this but i would check size of loft tank and increase it if needed so it doesn't run dry.

now you see guys, this is where my problem is, the tank is in a cupboard above the cylinder. It is a 50gallon tank but there is no room or any where else to change the size. So, that is why i am wanting to use cold mains on all bathroom and pump the hot. If the mains pressure is 2bar with only 1 outlet, should i get a pump which is 2 bar to pump the hot?

Or, as the mains pressure is 1 and half bars with 2 outlets open, should i get a 1 and half bar pump? Just a single impellor to pump hot. This way, the cold tank should be enough just to supply the hot and not the cold any more.

Thanks for all your advice guys

Hear what your saying, but how you going to feed the cylinder. Keep it on tank?

yes, keep it on the tank, as the cwsc is not big enough to supply pumped hot and cold. A nd there is absolutely no where else, or room above the cylinder to put in a bigger tank

I guess the customer just wants a good shower? as having high pressure at bath taps and basin is not essential. if possible depending on the type and how the shower is installed i would maybe go for a monsoon universal single, boosting after the shower valve but before the shower head. the 50 gallon tank is more than enough for this in a one bed flat. if your concerned about the tank running dry (i don't think it will with the 2bar pump it will take 25mins to drain the cwsc to empy if was not refilling) you could fit another float valve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Advice on pumping hot water for 1 bed flat in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi everyone, Could someone please explain if this set up is normal and what changed: Stopcock under kitchen sink turns off cold water supply in...
Replies
Views
Hi all, we have a water circulation pump to bring hot water from our woodburning stove and send it to a thermal accumulator tank. We've just...
Replies
Views
C
Hi everyone, My flat is located next to a communal boiler with a hot water circulator pump ( Grundfos UPS 15-50N Secondary Hot Water Circulator...
Replies
Views
ChristineLondon
C
Hi, I am currently using a Grundfos Booster Pump. This pump is fed by 2pcs of 1,000 liters water tank. Normally the pump would stop working...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Just a quick question. I have a log burner and a gas boiler on a dual fuel system (Central heating and Hot Water) either can do both. The...
Replies
Views
Back