Discuss advice needed please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Harvey

Evening all
I have a Main combi 24he boiler the heating and dhw works fine
Over the past week or so the boiler has developed a leak this is coming from the flow diverter where the 6 screws screw the end plate to the unit. I have had a gas safe plumber along today to have a look ,he says because the unit is sealed for life he cannot repair the leak and I would need a new unit £166 plus £140 labour to repair it???.
Now it may just be me being paranoid but I do get the feeling I am about to be ripped off. Its true I am not a plumber just a lowly diesel fitter but to me if a unit has 6 large screws on it surely they should come out and maybe a new seal could be installed? Im sure on my old boiler I had a similar situation and the plumber did fix the leak with some sort of repair kit
What do you guys think does this seem right to you?
any help or advice is much appreciated
Thanks

Not 100% on the main but a lot of diverter valves are serviceable. Maybe your engineer doesn't fancy his chances of the leak being repaired by changing seals etc.

im sure someone will be along with a proper answer soon, gas man is the resident baxi expert on here.

$(KGrHqRHJB!E9!j13fL9BPZGGbyifg~~60_1.jpg

apparently this is what i need the 6 screws are at the front of the picture (can only see 4 of em though)
if you see what i mean:confused5:

can you indicate where its leaking from ? if it's from the bit at the bottom with 2 washers on it this bit only can be replaced

Its actually leaking where from where the front plate screws on (held on by the 6 screws) thats why im thinking this front plate surely must unscrew why have screws if they cant be undone? waited a week for guy to come cos he is only one around that will do lpg

get a second opinion as most parts can be obtained for these valves but you should be prepared incase the repair kit does not work - sometimes replacing the complete part is the best answer (e.g your a diesel fitter would you repair a starter motor or replace it ?) same sinario the choice is yours at the end of the day.labour does seem a little steep but depends what area you are in

Change the whole unit if another bit fails you will be kicking yourself labour would be about the same imo

i fit a new diaphram to that very boiler earlier today.. i dont think he is being very truthful if he is saying its sealed for life.. get someone else who isnt after ripping you off round..

just get a diaphragm repair kit, universal ones available, and get a new engineer, 1 hour to muck about an replace, if that fails then a new unit may be needed, not needed in most cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to advice needed please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back