Search the forum,

Discuss A second boiler in an existing setup in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi
Due to the rising cost of fuel prices in the last month and the pending rises to come in the Autumn and new year, I won't be able to pay for both gas and electricity on my pension. So I will have to cancel my gas supply and freeze to death. That said, is it possible to insert a second boiler and water pump into the system from the garden? It's a bungalow by the way and only 4 radiators.

I'm thinking of using a 45-gallon oil drum filling it with water and heat it with various heat sources, namely biogas and wood. I can guess everybody is shaking their heads and saying this is a terrible idea but under the circumstances, I'm not left with much choice.

The drum would be fitted with a safety valve so it can let off stead if it overheated at night and the whole system would be housed in a brick enclosure and insulated. The water pump is the same make as the original running on 230v. The only problem at present is getting hot water to wash with but I would put a tap in the barrel and take it from there.

Thanks a lot.

Fabian.

If you have a chimney you are half way there to be able to burn stuff and keep warm and possibly heat water. Ideally with a multi fuel stove, a back boiler and a second coil in your water cylinder (if you have one) you could heat water safely for very little fuel cost or get a fire going in the hearth and fill a bath tub with HW the old fashioned way.

Nope, no, never, definitely not.

Please put up your post code so I know you're nowhere near me!
Hi
Actually, I'm in Lincoln, is that far enough away from me so you won't be in the blast zone, but close enough to see the mushroom cloud? I thought putting a diesel heater on the back of my garden shed was crazy but after a year it turned out to be a great idea (not so much around the 18th and 19th of July) but definitely keeps me warm through the winter months.

That's a better Idea. I'll take the diesel heater from the back of my shed and fix it to my sitting room wall (outside of course) in November and drill a hole in the wall. Hope the price of RED diesel doesn't go up as much as the premium has.

Thanks for the reply.

Fabian,

Nothing crazy about a diesel heater, they're usually designed to kept indoors though.
Hi
I built a box enclosure for the shed heater even though I've seen these heaters on the back of people's boats without any cover at all. Been giving this idea a lot more thought than the oil drum heater (no big bangs) may even buy another one for the sitting room's outer wall. You know, these machines can be run on biodiesel as well as red which would definitely keep the price down dramatically.

I'll come back later in the year and let you know how things are progressing.

Fabian.

Unless you have access to genuine 100% biodiesel it's normally blended with petro diesel. I assume then you must have access to 100% biodiesel in modest quantities, what's it taxed at or the price per litre?

Last edited:

Reply to A second boiler in an existing setup in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock