Search the forum,

Discuss 6189 help! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jesusrizvi

hello guy i am new member/joiner!

i have been doing some intense research in relation to becoming a plumber!\

i have seen courses offering a city guild NVQ level 2 6189 (no on site portfolios ect apprantley) what i was wondering is will this qualification be able to put me straight in to employment ie british gas ect? or start my own business (surley one will need an extensive amount of experience before becoming self employed).

in a nutshell this 6189 qualification can i go in to employment stariaghtaway then eventually start my own business with just this qualification?

hello guy i am new member/joiner!

i have been doing some intense research in relation to becoming a plumber!\

i have seen courses offering a city guild NVQ level 2 6189 (no on site portfolios ect apprantley) what i was wondering is will this qualification be able to put me straight in to employment ie british gas ect? or start my own business (surley one will need an extensive amount of experience before becoming self employed).

in a nutshell this 6189 qualification can i go in to employment stariaghtaway then eventually start my own business with just this qualification?
No, for a start you can go self employed right now and call yourself a plumber but as you have worked out you need a lot of experience to work success as a plumber or even to get employment as one that is why the apprentice system has been around for centuries. The 6189 is not intended to be undertaken unless you have access to work, it is an NVQ course as you say and so you can,t complete it until the on site assessments, check out what is required before starting.
As others have said on here many times before get a job first (apprenticeship) then get your qualification not the other way around.
If not and you still want to try your luck it's the 6035 L2. Good luck

Another issue is to gain employment atm you have to be highly competent as there is a very large pool of talent from redundancys, companys going under and more people entering the industry.

companys can pick the cream of the crop.

On the flipside as self employed can be very costly if you don't have the experience to know what your doing in the bigger scale of things .

good luck if you pursue it!
my view is the best route is an apprentiship.

Qualifications and no experience is not a good scenario. Almost like a boat builder. Would I take on an old boat builder who has build numerous boats or a new boat builder who has never built a boat before. Main aim is to get me to South America by sea.Think id choose the old boat builder who has built boats before. How about you ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 6189 help! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

P
  • Question
Boiler is SIRIUS THREE FS 70 Potterton commercial. Situation: We are small building contractors and my labourers managed to damage the radiator pipes during the strip out. Not the end of the world as damages happens. I am responsible builder and paying my bills and to repair the damages if...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hello I am looking to install a slimline dishwasher (integrated) into a cupboard in my kitchen. The depth of the dishwasher is 550mm and the depth of my cupboard is larger than this. The issue, however, is that the waste pipe which leads from the sink (next door cupboard) comes out quite a...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock