Discuss 3 port valve stays hot after boiler turns off in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

egginyourface

good day all. Im still a newby on this one.

Got a call from a customer today saying that 3 port valve stays hot after boiler turns off.

Is this normal due to hot water passing through 3 port valve. He reckons he needs to cut power to whole system then renergises and the heat stops??

Heating and ho****er works fine...

is this normal??

Pump over-run taking heat from the cylinder? More info needed though...

Many boilers are wired up to have a pump overrun. The object of this is to dissappate the heat through the heating instead of keeping it at the boiler, thus making more efficient use of the heat produced. Older plumbing often has a pipe stat which runs the pump until the hot water pipe drops to the set level.

It will be a problem if it's still running when the pipes are cold and the system isn't calling and trying to satisfy heat.

Got a call from a customer today saying that 3 port valve stays hot after boiler turns off.

Is this normal due to hot water passing through 3 port valve. He reckons he needs to cut power to whole system then renergises and the heat stops??
It's perfectly normal. There is no need to turn the power off and on.

If the valve has been held by the motor in heating only position (Port A open) and the heating is turned off (thermostat or timer), the valve will continue to be held in the same position until either, (a) hot water is called, or (b) the power is turned off and on. Either of these will reset the valve to HW only position (Port B open).

Last edited:
thanks for the advice all.

And will remember to spell ho****er with a space next time

It's perfectly normal. There is no need to turn the power off and on.

If the valve has been held by the motor in heating only position (Port A open) and the heating is turned off (thermostat or timer), the valve will continue to be held in the same position until either, (a) hot water is called, or (b) the power is turned off and on. Either of these will reset the valve to HW only position (Port B open).
This is exactly what my system has been doing for years. If the system happens to go off at night while in the central heating position, the valve stays energised and there is a slight annoying hum (not smell :teeth_smile:) to it. If I manually switch on the HW and turn the cylinder stat up you can hear the valve motor release and the spring pulls it back.

Have I been wasting my time all these years by manually doing this? :annoyed: I thought they guy who wired it in had done something wrong. Is this not putting extra 'strain' on the valve motor by leaving it 'energised' all night?

Interestingly, this only started to happen after the old timer was replaced.... maybe all timers hold it this way now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 3 port valve stays hot after boiler turns off in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a Worcester 28i junior boiler that has started to lose pressure, only when using the central heating. When using hot water I have no...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock