Discuss 1960's thick copper to stopcock- how to connect in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Thanks for the replies chaps. Soldered or end feed won't fit pipe as it is and I can't get a compression nut on.

I think the best option is as above- file it to fit an end feed or solder ring fitting.

Some of the better quality brass fittings are wider and might fit on and help make the pipe round shape
Conex is a wider fit including Conex nuts.
Strangely some ‘Yorkshire’ type soldered fittings are slightly wider and a slacker fit on 15mm, so would be useful

Some of the better quality brass fittings are wider and might fit on and help make the pipe round shape
Conex is a wider fit including Conex nuts.
Strangely some ‘Yorkshire’ type soldered fittings are slightly wider and a slacker fit on 15mm, so would be useful

Hmmm that's useful to know, thanks- I will have to get some.

I must admit to being a bit of a cheapskate so wouldn't have a branded 'Yorkshire' or 'conex' in my box of fittings.

I will file to fit a Yorkshire I think

Hmmm that's useful to know, thanks- I will have to get some.

I must admit to being a bit of a cheapskate so wouldn't have a branded 'Yorkshire' or 'conex' in my box of fittings.

I will file to fit a Yorkshire I think

Conex brass compression fittings are handy for putting on old 1/2” pipes or pipes slightly swollen due to frost damage.
The Yorkshire solder fittings might fit, but other brands sometimes are slacker, so might be better for you.
If using a file, also finish off using emery cloth will help.

Did you try knocking the fitting itself onto the pipe without the nut and olive?
As Best has mentioned, it could be slightly swollen as a result of frost. You could file it or emery paper it down a little.
In the past I have annealed them to soften them a bit and then tapped the fitting on first to round them up again if they are out of shape or size. Worth taking a bit of time over.

Good Luck.

Try these, Universal transition fittings, I've used them to connect to lead, copper, old steel and iron. Little chunky so you may not be able to get them on. Does the pipe come up through concreate or wooden floor? If its wooden try finding it under the floor and using the fitting there then come up in nice new 15mm copper.

Philmac UTC Joiner 15-21mm x 15-21mm

Edit "chunky" as in bigger than a normal compression fitting

Try these, Universal transition fittings, I've used them to connect to lead, copper, old steel and iron. Little chunky so you may not be able to get them on. Does the pipe come up through concreate or wooden floor? If its wooden try finding it under the floor and using the fitting there then come up in nice new 15mm copper.

Philmac UTC Joiner 15-21mm x 15-21mm

Edit "chunky" as in bigger than a normal compression fitting
Thats the solution ....I just found it in catalogue ...well done jones 82. centralheatking

Note to OP , never hammer a speedfit fitting with a block of wood or anything else for that matter , you could potentially end up in a bigger mess.

Reply to 1960's thick copper to stopcock- how to connect in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Winner
Hi all, I joined today and am a newbie at plumbing DIY. Thought I'd share my experience replacing the stopcock under my sink. The old one looked...
Replies
Views
Hi, as you can see pictured I have a stopcock without a packing gland. Over the past few days my cistern inlet was suffering from an airlock and...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm trying to connect 3/4" copper to 22mm copper in an old house. However it appears that the 3/4" is actually slightly smaller (measured at...
Replies
Views
I've got to replace my leaking stopcock, it seems to be connected to old steel pipe about 25mm, I guess 3/4 inch. What is the correct way to...
Replies
Views
C
Advice needed on replacing stopcock. I can’t tell what sort of pipe the mains is or how it’s been connected. The pipe appears to be metal and is...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock