Discuss HELP: Pressurised/Unvented cylinder - No hot water, central heating works fine in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

The plumber said he would self certify given he is a member of the competent person scheme under Gas Safe.

Having said that I've not received any paperwork since the install (in May) and have chased him since (said he would look into it). I've just checked on the Gas Safe website and it doesn't look like he's registered it.

So where do I stand? Can I complain to Gas Safe for (1) the safety valves not being connected and (2) The install not being registered?

Or are these now my problem to solve?
Having already given him thousands of pounds, I'm obviously disappointed. How much do you think it will cost to get these safety valves on?

is he gas safe / have you checked on there ?

Yes, he's gas safe (I check him out on Gas Safe website before he started).

I couldn't find him on there today, so got a friend to call up as a new customer to check he was registered. He said he's renewing his membership and will be back on the website on Tuesday, as he's not been able to renew due to the bank holiday.

Let's see - I will post his ID number once it's active.

The plumber said he would self certify given he is a member of the competent person scheme under Gas Safe. - Have you that in writing ?
Having said that I've not received any paperwork since the install (in May) and have chased him since (said he would look into it). I've just checked on the Gas Safe website and it doesn't look like he's registered it. - For Gas ?
So where do I stand? Can I complain to Gas Safe for (1) the safety valves not being connected and (2) The install not being registered?
Gas Safe if he is not Registered for gas work & he moved the boiler.
See below for the unvented.

Or are these now my problem to solve? - Yours as you are the owner I am afraid.
Having already given him thousands of pounds, I'm obviously disappointed. How much do you think it will cost to get these safety valves on?- Did you not hold any money back as a retention until you got it competed & the paperwork ?
Not possible to say without seeing the route for the wastes & knowing your local BC charges for inspection

In the first place put it in write to him stating that the installation is not complete as the safety valve discharge wastes have not been installed.
Ask him to respond state that you need a response by ?? (a least a week or two) otherwise you will have no other option than to take this further.
So was he registered to carry out the gas work at the time he moved the boiler ?
If he was on the Gas Safe register then you should be able to check that he has joined their competent person scheme for hot water systems (often called un-vented / partG).

He was registered at the time of the install, although I cant recall if he was registered as a competent person for un-vented cylinder /Part G. I'll need to check this once he's re-registered.

Yes, I have it in writing (on Whatsapp and email) that he would register the install of the cylinder.

I've not received anything from Building Control that the cylinder has been registered (assuming I shouldn't expect anything for moving the boiler?). If he had registered the install would it not be on the Gas Safe website (assuming he's registered as a compitant person for unvented/Part G)?

I didn't hold any money back as he said the install was complete and he would register the cylinder. Hindsight!

I know it is a wonderful thing isn't it!!

I don't see why Gas Safe could not tell you if he had signed up to the Part G & confirm if he had or hadn't registered the installation.
It may take a month or so for the paperwork to come but there is a deadline to register the work once complete, which means you should have had it by now.

The main point is that the installation is not complete & he should be given the opportunity to complete it (& register it once compete).
Otherwise it is likely you will need to go to Law for redress.

True, I'll go back to the plumber and give him a chance to rectify.

I'll also call up Gas Safe and see is he's registered PartG and if the install has been registered or not.

Thanks for the advise all.

Installations manuals are easy to get on internet for unvented, so you can check what he does against the manual. Its not a pretty install but hopefully it just a day to add the discharge pipes and fix the crazy zone valves. Bit worrying he has let his registration lapse, not a good sign.
Hopefully he will come back, otherwise might be worth asking around for a decent plumber to go over the install. Good luck

I'm not sure what the experts think, but not fitting the safety valves is inexcusable.

The "shocking install" / "crazy zone valves" also doesn't fill me with confidence in this guy.

I'm tempted to cut my losses and get someone reputable in - at least I'll have peace of mind that it's all in good order at the end.

The safety valve aka pressure relief valve appears to be there (red thing) but if it does in fact relieve itself it will discharge water directly into your house roughly south of the red valve. It is supposed to discharge water outside (in a safe manner, i.e. so not to scold anyone ), also there is supposed to be a device below the red thing so you can visually check for evidence of discharge. Your property is currently at risk from water damage as is.

yea is that prv just open ended or IS IT CAPPED OFF ? I worry
both are wrong capped off is really bad

That is a bloody good point!
I think looking at the last photo that the P&T relief valve has the internal compression nut showing and hopefully it is not a 1/2” blanking plug. :eek:

It's not blanked off it's a nut and olive but the nut is externally threaded

Reply to HELP: Pressurised/Unvented cylinder - No hot water, central heating works fine in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock