Discuss 1 or 2 pipe central heating system diagram in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

ckyens

Hello all

Came across these two diagrams for the central heating system currently installed in the house.

Its an old system design by the look of it, there doesnt seem to be any cold pipes fitted onto the radiators.

It appears as if all the radiators are connected in series and only to the hot feed from the boiler & cylinder i.e hot water goes into a rad then back out to feed the next inline.

There are 7 radiators in total fitted. Its possible there may have been another drawing showing the extra 4, but unsure.

The boiler in the system is an open flued Glow worm Ultimate 40 cf.

Now if I want to upgrade to a combi , is it best have to repipe the whole system (cold & hot water pipes)?

I know cylinder & header / feed tanks will be removed.

Can anyone shed any light on the diagrams?

Cheers for reading

Attachments

• 20170113_174559.jpg
    20170113_174559.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 49
  • 20170113_174639.jpg
    20170113_174639.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 31
I love the drawings.....
You basically have, Gravity hot water, with a towel rail/rad? On the gravity circuit. Then a mixture of one pipe and reverse return.
As most is undersized, I would be inclined to replace th lot. It will be sludged up too.
It will be worth the effort/cost, as it will all heat up quickly and evenly.

Aye, I think the drawings date back to the 70's. Found them amongst all the paperwork that was left by the last longstanding house owner. Theres a lot of lead pipes in the system too. All the radiators are mismatched in size and age etc. I took a couple off and your right the water that came out was pure black!

Aye, I think the drawings date back to the 70's. Found them amongst all the paperwork that was left by the last longstanding house owner. Theres a lot of lead pipes in the system too. All the radiators are mismatched in size and age etc. I took a couple off and your right the water that came out was pure black!

Me thinks it is older than the 70's.
It is best to start again.

I'm keen to have the system redone as soon as possible. Unsure if new rewiring loom should run so near to the central heating pipes (see pic) but I guess if it was done in the 60's / 70's maybe it was the norm?

Looking at it, it doesnt seem right.

Attachments

• 20170113_183122.jpg
    20170113_183122.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 74
Probably 50' or early 60's. Designed as a fully gravity system. It will have been altered to pumped heating when the glow worm went in or possibly before.
If you are putting a new boiler in it would be better to replace the full system.

The conex fittings in the pic above are from the 60's

Last edited by a moderator:
Ideally I want to start with getting the mains cold water supply switched from 'lead pipe' to a more upto date material. The utilities company say its the house owners job to have the cold water mains pipework upgraded i.e they're responsible upto the property boundary wall.

Does anyone know what it would cost?

They ( in my area) are responsible to your boundary i.e. where your land boundary is and not your house wall, if that's what you meant ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 1 or 2 pipe central heating system diagram in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have been facing central heating low pressure on unvented hot water RM Cylinders but can't see any leak on the PRV, expansion vessels and...
Replies
Views
losing pressure
L
I have had a problem where 2 downstair radiators are not heating up the same as the rest of the radiators around the house, now previously i had...
Replies
Views
Can central heating / gas engineer expert help me with below issue. During winter time only, I have been having issue with low pressure or...
Replies
Views
Good afternoon, I am experiencing a pressure issue with my heating system and was hoping to receive additional insight as to what the problem...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back