Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Would you charge? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

spikewt

Gas Engineer
If you fitted a bathroom suit 10 months ago, a wickes budget suit bought by the customer, and the tap inner became stuck closed, would you charge to repair it?

If you fitted a bathroom suit 10 months ago, a wickes budget suit bought by the customer, and the tap inner became stuck closed, would you charge to repair it?

If you supplied it then maybe. If customer supplied it then its their rubbish

If the customer supplied materials? Yep! Every single time!

I would expect to be charged in that situation.

Except a) I would have fitted my own and 2) Would have bought a proper suite from merchants!

Last edited:
Chargeable if you didn't supply items.

Of course you'd charge them unless you are running a charity or have mug stamped on your head.
They supply the materials their problem.

did you supply the material? No
who purchased it? The customer!
is it your responsibility to guarantee a material that you did not source? Nopeee

charge!

that customer supplied came from your profit/markup which you add incase of call back=no profit so charge as normal

Yep! That goes also for stuff I bought that the custard insisted on against my wishes.

Currently dealing with the second faulty Drayton MiTime programmer at the same house. I told customer they were brand new on the market, unproven reliability. He wanted that and no other. He's paying for my time spent in sorting it out.

If they were good customers and they paid for anything needed to repair it and it didn't take long I would do it for nothing.

I know most wouldn't do it for nothing. Hopefully they would then pass on my name to others as word of mouth is my main way of building up customers.

Thanks all for that. The customer got into quite a heated argument at me when I said £20. I tried to explain that he bought the gear, so its not my fault the tap broke but then his misses piped up so I gave in and left. Lesson learnt. I'll book in for my MUG tattoo tomorrow.

Thanks all for that. The customer got into quite a heated argument at me when I said £20. I tried to explain that he bought the gear, so its not my fault the tap broke but then his misses piped up so I gave in and left. Lesson learnt. I'll book in for my MUG tattoo tomorrow.

£20 was too cheap! Should've charged double that!

If they were half decent people they would of paid you and appreciated that you shouldn't have to go out your way to repair THEIR cheap bathroom for free.
Some people make me sick.

Yeah should have said '£20 too much?!... Ok then £40.... No!?.... Ok £60!'. Can't beat a bit of backward haggling. Breaks the ice nicely

A piece of advice, they supplied the equipment.

If the water connection leaked and was your fault and yes a freebie.

If THEIR EQUIPMENT fails it is not you are not legally obliged to fix it.

Good will yes but not if they get Arsey !!

As always I think it depends on the customer. If they were easy to work with and you think there is plenty of work and recommendations I wouldn't charge. If they were the opposite and from the sounds of it a nightmare I would explain a call out charge before heading round.

I would tell him to..........well i'd better not say more than off :smile

Yes I guess I should have explained I was goin to charge. Iv only done that one job for them but as I dont advertise, word of mouth is essential so I thort I was best to cut my losses. Its good to see I wasnt totally in the wrong. All good fun running ya own business!

I fitted a boiler other week, couple of days after they had water coming through ceiling.

Shot round at 7pm at night, couldn't see any leaks??? Lifted boards up, an old fitting had gone ?? They hadn't had a working boiler for months till I fitted this.

she understood that it was on her old pipework, I couldn't for see that.

went back the next day to cut out an repipe, couple of hours work.

she gave me a twenty pound Scottish note, very impressed

Yep! That goes also for stuff I bought that the custard insisted on against my wishes.

Currently dealing with the second faulty Drayton MiTime programmer at the same house. I told customer they were brand new on the market, unproven reliability. He wanted that and no other. He's paying for my time spent in sorting it out.

What happened to Drayton eh! There old 5/2 programmers used to be the best!

new stuff seems to be pretty unreliable these days! :(

I fitted a boiler other week, couple of days after they had water coming through ceiling.

Shot round at 7pm at night, couldn't see any leaks??? Lifted boards up, an old fitting had gone ?? They hadn't had a working boiler for months till I fitted this.

she understood that it was on her old pipework, I couldn't for see that.

went back the next day to cut out an repipe, couple of hours work.

she gave me a twenty pound Scottish note, very impressed

cheeky beggar... To refill the x100 alone would have been 12 quid! That leaves ya 8 quid labour, minus fuel & tax lol...

We have all been caught. Better to explain the supplier needs to meet your costs as well as the defective part. ( If you broke the fitting would the supplier have replaced free of charge).
From the conversation that follows you can assess your chance of payment, and if necessary walk out the door voicing concern and sympathy for THEIR PROBLEMS and your willingness to return once blame has been accepted.

Just asked my girlfriend this question, she reckons the plumber shouldn't charge because he done a rubbish job at installing it :banghead:

What happened to Drayton eh! There old 5/2 programmers used to be the best!

new stuff seems to be pretty unreliable these days! :(
dont think there is a reliable timer on the market anymore honeywell 9000 are total ****e weve got a sackfull in the office to go back

The drayton LP's are the same reliable clocks they always were since acl made them.

what did they say? what were their reasons as they explained them that you should fix something they supplied?

unbelievable.

if it was someone i liked / felt sorry for / wanted to help out and was passing / bored / in and out in ten seconds i would consider calling it a tenner to free up the valve. but otherwise minimum charge - £40 for me.

If i do a small job/call back for a customer/person who has the attitude that they want to give me something even if they dont have alot to give then im happy with the fact they appreciate my effort.

If somebody shows no appreciation at all i will want to charge them full rate for being a twonka.

this is always the case with family and friends, i may not except anything but i want them to appreciate my efforts. If they dont they get removed from the xmas card list and univited to my funeral. :)

I can't believe how many threads there are like this. It only seems to be plumbers that I see that have the mickey taken. I'm probably wrong but couldn't imagine mechanics putting up with this rubbish, where I work the majority of work is for a letting agents so I don't see this type of thing. Must be difficult and feel like your stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Last edited:
If a customer says you should drive to their house & fix their tap for free then i would use whatever job they earn their living to compare the situation to.
For example, - if he is an office worker, I would put it straight back to him that would he spend an hour or two in his job fixing paperwork for NO PAY that someone else produced?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Would you charge? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock