Discuss Would you charge? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

spikewt

Gas Engineer
If you fitted a bathroom suit 10 months ago, a wickes budget suit bought by the customer, and the tap inner became stuck closed, would you charge to repair it?

what did they say? what were their reasons as they explained them that you should fix something they supplied?

unbelievable.

if it was someone i liked / felt sorry for / wanted to help out and was passing / bored / in and out in ten seconds i would consider calling it a tenner to free up the valve. but otherwise minimum charge - £40 for me.

If i do a small job/call back for a customer/person who has the attitude that they want to give me something even if they dont have alot to give then im happy with the fact they appreciate my effort.

If somebody shows no appreciation at all i will want to charge them full rate for being a twonka.

this is always the case with family and friends, i may not except anything but i want them to appreciate my efforts. If they dont they get removed from the xmas card list and univited to my funeral. :)

I can't believe how many threads there are like this. It only seems to be plumbers that I see that have the mickey taken. I'm probably wrong but couldn't imagine mechanics putting up with this rubbish, where I work the majority of work is for a letting agents so I don't see this type of thing. Must be difficult and feel like your stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Last edited:
If a customer says you should drive to their house & fix their tap for free then i would use whatever job they earn their living to compare the situation to.
For example, - if he is an office worker, I would put it straight back to him that would he spend an hour or two in his job fixing paperwork for NO PAY that someone else produced?

Yea I was trying to think like that at the time. Hes an accountant. As it all happened so fast and he started shoutin I just cut my losses an got out as it didnt seem like they were gonna see it from my side. I thort about sayin if you buy cheap nasty brake pads, take them to a mechanic to fit then go back 6 months later sayin they've worn out, I wonder what how fast they'd be told to off??

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea I was trying to think like that at the time. Hes an accountant. As it all happened so fast and he started shoutin I just cut my losses an got out as it didnt seem like they were gonna see it from my side. I thort about sayin if you buy cheap nasty brake pads, take them to a mechanic to fit then go back 6 months later sayin they've worn out, I wonder what how fast they'd be told to f off??

Fact that he is an accountant says it all, - miserable git!
And you only asked him for £20! Did you have far to travel? Even if it was a local job & an easy job, I bet you wasted a lot of time on it?
It is nearly always the people in professional jobs that don't want to pay.
People like that you would be better without.

He was nice as pie until the mention of money then he flipped like a switch. Its not happened to me before and it stessed me out but from the response on here, its good to know I wasnt wrong. Ill stick to my guns when it happens again. if I need to!!

He was nice as pie until the mention of money then he flipped like a switch. Its not happened to me before and it stessed me out but from the response on here, its good to know I wasnt wrong. Ill stick to my guns when it happens again. if I need to!!

Change your perception of people you work for, even so called friends. I now think this way.Don't trust anyone, always assume that there's a chance you may not get all or some of your money, keep records. But always be pleasant & decent. A lot of people think we are someone for to benefit from.

Change your perception of people you work for, even so called friends. I now think this way.Don't trust anyone, always assume that there's a chance you may not get all or some of your money, keep records. But always be pleasant & decent. A lot of people think we are someone for to benefit from.

This is one of the best advice for young plumbs cutting their teeth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Would you charge? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock