Discuss Would you charge? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

spikewt

Gas Engineer
If you fitted a bathroom suit 10 months ago, a wickes budget suit bought by the customer, and the tap inner became stuck closed, would you charge to repair it?

A piece of advice, they supplied the equipment.

If the water connection leaked and was your fault and yes a freebie.

If THEIR EQUIPMENT fails it is not you are not legally obliged to fix it.

Good will yes but not if they get Arsey !!

As always I think it depends on the customer. If they were easy to work with and you think there is plenty of work and recommendations I wouldn't charge. If they were the opposite and from the sounds of it a nightmare I would explain a call out charge before heading round.

Thanks all for that. The customer got into quite a heated argument at me when I said £20. I tried to explain that he bought the gear, so its not my fault the tap broke but then his misses piped up so I gave in and left. Lesson learnt. I'll book in for my MUG tattoo tomorrow.

I would tell him to..........well i'd better not say more than off :smile

Yes I guess I should have explained I was goin to charge. Iv only done that one job for them but as I dont advertise, word of mouth is essential so I thort I was best to cut my losses. Its good to see I wasnt totally in the wrong. All good fun running ya own business!

I fitted a boiler other week, couple of days after they had water coming through ceiling.

Shot round at 7pm at night, couldn't see any leaks??? Lifted boards up, an old fitting had gone ?? They hadn't had a working boiler for months till I fitted this.

she understood that it was on her old pipework, I couldn't for see that.

went back the next day to cut out an repipe, couple of hours work.

she gave me a twenty pound Scottish note, very impressed

Yep! That goes also for stuff I bought that the custard insisted on against my wishes.

Currently dealing with the second faulty Drayton MiTime programmer at the same house. I told customer they were brand new on the market, unproven reliability. He wanted that and no other. He's paying for my time spent in sorting it out.

What happened to Drayton eh! There old 5/2 programmers used to be the best!

new stuff seems to be pretty unreliable these days! :(

I fitted a boiler other week, couple of days after they had water coming through ceiling.

Shot round at 7pm at night, couldn't see any leaks??? Lifted boards up, an old fitting had gone ?? They hadn't had a working boiler for months till I fitted this.

she understood that it was on her old pipework, I couldn't for see that.

went back the next day to cut out an repipe, couple of hours work.

she gave me a twenty pound Scottish note, very impressed

cheeky beggar... To refill the x100 alone would have been 12 quid! That leaves ya 8 quid labour, minus fuel & tax lol...

We have all been caught. Better to explain the supplier needs to meet your costs as well as the defective part. ( If you broke the fitting would the supplier have replaced free of charge).
From the conversation that follows you can assess your chance of payment, and if necessary walk out the door voicing concern and sympathy for THEIR PROBLEMS and your willingness to return once blame has been accepted.

Just asked my girlfriend this question, she reckons the plumber shouldn't charge because he done a rubbish job at installing it :banghead:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Would you charge? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock